WHO ARE WE?
The tech team builds the systems and apps that communicate with our customers, warehouses, customer service, payment providers, and more. In short, we create and manage the systems that keep the business running and, more importantly, make dogs happy. We work collaboratively (no such thing as a dumb question) and scientifically (test and measure whenever we can), while taking the work--but not ourselves--too seriously. We generally work on squads of engineers, product designers, data analysts, QA and product management. We also work closely with stakeholders throughout the company to get things done. We see technology as a means to an end; we love solving problems and making the most of our time
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
Can you give a pup belly scratches until you get carpal tunnel? Is the sound of squeaky toys music to your ears? BARK is a fast-growing business for people who love dogs.
BARK is looking for a lead Android engineer to drive native development for a new, customer focused App for existing BARK subscribers and dog parents everywhere. As a lead on a new team, you’ill be instrumental in how we adapt the current subscriber experience for native platforms and take advantage of platform specific capabilities to deliver experiences beyond our current web-centric approach.
- Product Focus: Participate in the ideation and planning of the App roadmap with product and design.
- Technical: Build beautiful, intuitive, native user experiences and define the backend services to support them.
- Platform Advocate: Your expertise and knowledge of the Android platform and available APIs should influence the customer experience in the new App. You’ll make sure we are building a solid foundation for future development.
- Code Quality: Maintain a highly responsive system by ensuring code quality, stability and performance (you are pragmatic not dogmatic, despite our being a dog company).
- Leadership: You are someone who people want to work with. It's not only that you have great ideas, it's that you have the unique ability to make people better at their jobs.
- 5 years of professional Android development experience in a team environment.
- You have some experience with or knowledge of Kotlin.
- You have prior experience as a technical lead, driving the technical direction of the team, owning overall code quality and providing coaching and mentorship to other developers
- Experience developing on IOS.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- You have a portfolio of published Apps on the Google Play Store or other marketplaces.
- You care about delivering a good customer experience and align your code with that top of mind.
- You care about testing and building robust, maintainable and testable code.
- Highly collaborative and able to work with other engineers to design and build the right set of APIs to drive the App experience.
- Familiarity with Ruby on Rails.
- Experience with React Native.
- Experience managing a team - we’re open to this being a management role.
This position is a full-time, salaried position. BARK currently has offices in NYC and Columbus, Ohio, but for the right candidates working remotely is also an option. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, and a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Here at BARK, we love dogs and their people. We’re looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (we’re not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs and their people through our products, events, and experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, and our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats and clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys and treats to the dogs across the world and use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives and ways to make magic between dogs and their people. We’ve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.
There are 80 million dogs in the US. Not all of them have their own BarkBox subscriptions…yet. But you can help. BarkBox is hiring, and employees get a spot in their sunny new office and health insurance for employee and pup (no joke).
Be a Better BarkBox Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BarkBox when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BarkBox? Visit BarkBox's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos