Here at BARK, we love dogs and their people. We’re looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (we’re not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs and their people through our products, events, and experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, and our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats and clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys and treats to the dogs across the world and use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives and ways to make magic between dogs and their people. We’ve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
Have you guided a company through an IPO? Do you love dogs to the point of obsession? We’re looking for a General Counsel to join our pack. As our business continues growing, we need someone in house who really understands our goals and how to achieve them… legally (and who gets our sense of humor).
You will report directly to our CFO to advise all teams within BARK, as well as liaise between BARK and outside counsel when necessary. As General Counsel, we are looking for a business minded, risk-management partner for our General Managers, Department Heads, and Executives.
- Help us with corporate governance as we prepare to become a public company.
- As Bark creates new IP, advise on privacy, trade secret, copyright, trademark and patent questions and prosecution/application.
- Draft and negotiate commercial agreements with suppliers, partners, customers and vendors.
- Act as the first point of contact on all product and advertising regulatory and compliance questions.
- Manage our capitalization table and equity compensation program.
- Manage our corporate risk insurance portfolio.
- Act as a legal advisor to the team regarding labor and employment, tax, financing, litigation, and real estate matters.
- Build a scalable framework for contract management and legal support.
- Manage our outside counsel as needed.
- Identify and assess legal risks and opportunities generally and advise accordingly.
Partner closely with the CFO and VP Finance & Controller on all risk management.
- 7+ years experience in a lead counsel role.
- Ideally have IPO experience, and have taken a start-up through the process .
- Experience both inside a "well known" law firm as well as with an emerging growth company (EGC)
- A JD, and admission to a state bar.
- In-house experience with a high growth company strongly preferred.
- Consumer product industry experience strongly preferred (experience with regulatory, customer and vendor relations).
- Familiarity with international law in regards to global business expansion is a plus.
- MUST. LOVE. DOGS (this is non-negotiable, even for a lawyer).
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Sound judgment and business acumen.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Effective intra-team and cross-departmental communication in a matrixed organization.
- Hungry self-starter who can operate with little direction.
- Able to keep a cool head while juggling multiple (and sometimes conflicting) priorities between departments and business units.
- Ability to communicate effectively with upper management, particularly with Board members and C-Suite executives.
This position is a full-time position. It is remote to start and could be based in our New York, NY or Seattle, WA locations. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, and a dog to pet anytime you wish.
There are 80 million dogs in the US. Not all of them have their own BarkBox subscriptions…yet. But you can help. BarkBox is hiring, and employees get a spot in their sunny new office and health insurance for employee and pup (no joke).
Be a Better BarkBox Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BarkBox when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BarkBox? Visit BarkBox's website.
Today, our mission is simple: Empower independent business owners to dream big.