WHO WE ARE:
The tech team builds the systems and apps that communicate with our customers, warehouses, customer service, payment providers, and more. In short, we create and manage the systems that keep the business running and, more importantly, make dogs happy. We work collaboratively (no such thing as a dumb question) and scientifically (test and measure whenever we can), while taking the work--but not ourselves--too seriously. We generally work on squads of engineers, product designers, data analysts, QA and product management. We also work closely with stakeholders throughout the company to get things done. We see technology as a means to an end; we love solving problems and making the most of our time!
WHO WE'RE SNIFFIN FOR:
We are currently looking for an Engineering Manager to join the Application engineering department. Application engineering squads are responsible for the subscription purchase funnels for all Bark product lines, the overall online subscriber experience, including native applications, and internal tools and systems used by our customer service team.
Our ideal candidate will be passionate about both hands on technical work, as well as mentoring and managing more junior engineers.
- Split your time between managing and individual contribution. We find our teams work best when everyone is close to the code.
- Prioritize and plan the work of the team alongside your engineers and product manager. Help set ambitious but achievable quarterly goals.
- Coach engineers on their day-to-day work and their career aspirations, including conducting regular 1:1s, evaluating performance quarterly, and setting actionable goals that help individuals grow as well as move the company forward.
- Remove obstacles for the team to unblock their work.
- Help shape the direction of our tech stack to address the evolving needs of the tech team and the business.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience & Leadership: You are a thoughtful, talented engineer who has good experience facilitating the work of their colleagues and reports. You have:
- 5+ years of hands on engineering experience
- 1+ year of managing or leading technical teams and guiding them to success
- Experience using Ruby on Rails strongly preferred
- Goal Driven: You set clear goals, that are meaningful for your team and are aligned with our customer and business goals, and that the entire team can rally behind.
- Humility: You're humble, self-aware, and always give credit to your team.
- Communication skills: You are a strong, transparent communicator, and have worked in a matrixed product organization, closely-coupled with designers and product managers. You are able to communicate goals clearly to your team and stakeholders.
- Empathy: You’re a respectful and empathetic teammate who is willing to go the extra mile for others, and you care about helping us create a diverse, inclusive workforce where we respect all and practice empathy at every opportunity.
- Must love dogs
P.S. Check out our new tech blog here!
This position is a full-time, salaried position. It is located on-site at our office in New York, NY. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, and dogs to pet anytime you wish.
Here at BARK, we love dogs and their people. We’re looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (we’re not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs and their people through our products, events, and experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, and our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2012 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats and clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys and treats to the dogs across the world and use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives and ways to make magic between dogs and their people. We’ve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.
There are 80 million dogs in the US. Not all of them have their own BarkBox subscriptions…yet. But you can help. BarkBox is hiring, and employees get a spot in their sunny new office and health insurance for employee and pup (no joke).
Be a Better BarkBox Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BarkBox when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BarkBox? Visit BarkBox's website.
Help the world share their story