We're a smart and fun group of people working hard to solve a tough problem for millions of entrepreneurs. The basic foundation for success in any business is to understand its financial performance, but for many small businesses, keeping up to date on their books means trading off time spent actually running their businesses. Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of our clients’ hands. We’ve paired sleek, user-friendly software with a team of bookkeepers to provide monthly bookkeeping at an incredibly accessible price, giving entrepreneurs the time and the confidence to run the businesses they love.
When you join Bench you're not only joining a company that’s changing the way business is done, you're joining at an inflection point. Bench is post Series B, capitalized by a team of Silicon Valley and New York investors. We’re scaling fast and we’re not slowing down anytime soon. In just a few short years, we’ve grown from four co-founders to over 300 Benchmates. It’s been quite a ride so far and we’re looking for the brightest minds who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible leg of our journey.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you are consistently productive and reliable. You have a broad understanding of Bench as a business, and you play a leading role in the design, development, and deployment of its technology. Your experience is sought out by others, and you are held up as a role model in your division. You continually better the solutions of others and think in terms of architecture, not just code. You distill the essence of conflicts, harmonize views, find the best way forward, and lead people to that outcome. You actively mentor junior team members, better your peers, and work to make other people more productive. You support and foster Bench tech culture principles through recruiting, employee mentoring, and team participation.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll:
- Own and work towards milestones in projects.
- Lead technical projects and collaborate with your engineering manager in delegation of work to their product team.
- Act as a technical resource and sounding board.
- Participate in technical interviews for engineering team hires.
- Identify and adopt software engineering best practices and processes that make sense for the Bench Engineering team.
- Provide technical leadership and direction in the implementation of large new product features.
- Have a broad understanding of Bench technologies and business.
- Continually better the solutions of others and think in terms of architecture, not just code.
- Distill the essence of conflicts, harmonize views, find the best way forward, and lead people to that outcome.
- Actively mentor junior team members and better your peers and work to make other people more productive.
- Support and foster Bench tech culture principles through recruiting, employee mentoring, and team participation.
You’ll thrive in our culture if:
- You’re passionate about learning and sharing your knowledge.
- You’re collaborative, optimistic and you listen to understand, demonstrating kindness and empathy in all interactions.
- You’re driven to make things better. You love to experiment, try new things, and drive improvement.
- You are described as an excellent communicator!
- You are passionate about helping to create a unique and thriving culture.
- You are a creator! “Good” isn’t good enough. You never get tired of improving things.
- You have startup hustle: You are highly motivated, proactive, comfortable with change and ambiguity. You have a humble, team-player attitude and are ready to pitch in wherever you are needed most.
You’re a great technical fit if you have:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 5+ years as a software engineer or equivalent.
- Demonstrated familiarity with agile software development practices and continuous delivery.
- A data-driven approach to measuring product impact.
- A proven commitment to lifelong learning in a rapidly changing technology ecosystem.
Other details and benefits:
- This position offers an annual base salary + health, dental, vision & Lifestyle Spending Account after 3 months.
- Our downtown office is close to lots of great restaurants and easily accessible via transit.
About us Bench is a four-year-old fintech company that automates accounting tasks to organize the financials of small businesses. We pair you with a dedicated bookkeeping team and use simple, elegant software to do your books for you. We've raised $33M to date, serviced thousands of business owners across the country, and currently employ 250 people out of our headquarters in Vancouver, Canada.