We’re a committed and talented group of diverse people working hard to solve a real, universal problem for millions of entrepreneurs: businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses. Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. We’ve paired real humans with incredibly powerful software to develop the fastest, most efficient bookkeeping service in history. This lets us provide monthly and yearly financials at an incredibly accessible price, giving business owners the time, confidence, and knowledge they need to be successful.
The engineering team at Bench is looking for a Lead DevOps Engineer to join our Platform team. Bench Platform team supports our engineering teams as well as the infrastructure that builds, deploys and hosts Bench services. We have a keen focus on security, resilience, efficiency, learning and using the best tools. We work closely, move fast and learn a lot in the process.
Your role as a Platform Team Lead would be to empower a small team of talented DevOps engineers and help them succeed both acting as a delivery resource but also providing technical leadership and guidance to the rest of the team. Every team member is active in sprint planning and collaborates with others through retrospectives, regular demos and blameless post-mortems to learn how to make our systems more resilient and acknowledge our successes.
Joining Bench’s engineering team means joining a diverse group of individuals. Among us are outdoors enthusiasts, tabletop gamers, theatre buffs, metal fans, tennis players and much more. Some of us have degrees in Computer Science, some of us went to bootcamps, and some of us are self-taught. We don’t all look, think, or communicate in the same way—and that makes for a better work environment and product.
What would you be doing at Bench?
- Work with the team on writing, testing, reviewing, deploying, monitoring and documenting code
- Organize and participate in planning sessions such as bi-weekly sprint planning
- Lead technical projects and collaborate the rest of the Platform Team on meeting goals
- Adopt and help evolve Bench software development best practices
- Use and maintain the continuous delivery pipeline tooling that helps the team deploy an average of 600 production releases per quarter
- Work with and learn from a world-class team of experienced managers and individual contributors
- Participate in diagnosing and resolving production incidents to ensure reliability and uptime
- Research and adopt new technologies, as appropriate
What are we looking for in you?
- 5+ years of experience as a DevOps/Software Engineer or equivalent.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language, preferably in Golang, Python or Java/Scala
- Experience working with build pipelines
- Able to lead complex technical projects, being able to communicate progress and collaborate with the rest of the team on the delivery
- Familiar with modern software development systems and practices (ex. version control systems, issue management, agile & scrum)
- A good communicator, verbally, through code and in writing
- Passionate about DevOps and SRE best practices
- Technologies and frameworks you might work with include: AWS (e.g. VPC, EC2, RDS, Lambda), Kubernetes, Linkerd, Hashicorp Vault, Jenkins, GitHub, CircleCI, Splunk, Datadog, Terraform, Ansible, Nginx, MySQL, Postgres, bash, Python, Groovy, and Golang
What else would be great about working at Bench?
- We’re culture-first engineering team and company. We have a strong focus on learning and growing as engineers and people
- This is a full-time permanent position, because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self
- We offer an extended benefits package, including health, dental, and vision
- You’ll love our Lifestyle Spending Account, with $1,500 / year to spend on fitness activities, transit passes, books, continued learning and more
- Our downtown office is close to lots of great restaurants and easily accessible via transit
- We also pride ourselves on our office coffee and the fridge is always stocked, compliments of Bench
About us Bench is a four-year-old fintech company that automates accounting tasks to organize the financials of small businesses. We pair you with a dedicated bookkeeping team and use simple, elegant software to do your books for you. We've raised $33M to date, serviced thousands of business owners across the country, and currently employ 250 people out of our headquarters in Vancouver, Canada.