We're a smart and fun group of people working hard to solve a tough problem for millions of entrepreneurs. The basic foundation for success in any business is to understand its financial performance, but for many small businesses, keeping up to date on their books means trading off time spent actually running their businesses. Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of our clients’ hands. We’ve paired sleek, user-friendly software with a team of bookkeepers to provide monthly bookkeeping at an incredibly accessible price, giving entrepreneurs the time and the confidence to run the businesses they love.
The engineering team at Bench is looking for a talented, driven, and resilient Senior Engineer to join our team. As a Senior Engineer, you are consistently productive and reliable. You have a broad understanding of Bench as a business, and you play a leading role in the design, development, and deployment of its technology. Your experience is sought out by others, and you are held up as a role model in your division. You continually better the solutions of others and think in terms of architecture, not just code. You distill the essence of conflicts, harmonize views, find the best way forward, and lead people to that outcome. You actively mentor junior team members, better your peers, and work to make other people more productive. You support and foster Bench tech culture principles through recruiting, employee mentoring, and team participation.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll:
- Own and work towards milestones in projects.
- Lead technical projects and collaborate with your engineering manager in delegation of work to their product team.
- Act as a technical resource and sounding board.
- Participate in technical interviews for engineering team hires.
- Identify and adopt software engineering best practices and processes that make sense for the Bench Engineering team.
- Provide technical leadership and direction in the implementation of large new product features.
- Have a broad understanding of Bench technologies and business.
- Continually better the solutions of others and think in terms of architecture, not just code.
- Distill the essence of conflicts, harmonize views, find the best way forward, and lead people to that outcome.
- Actively mentor junior team members and better your peers and work to make other people more productive.
- Support and foster Bench tech culture principles through recruiting, employee mentoring, and team participation.
You’ll thrive in our culture if:
- You’re passionate about learning and sharing your knowledge.
- You’re collaborative, optimistic and you listen to understand, demonstrating kindness and empathy in all interactions.
- You’re driven to make things better. You love to experiment, try new things, and drive improvement.
- You are described as an excellent communicator!
- You are passionate about helping to create a unique and thriving culture.
- You are a creator! “Good” isn’t good enough. You never get tired of improving things.
- You have startup hustle: You are highly motivated, proactive, comfortable with change and ambiguity. You have a humble, team-player attitude and are ready to pitch in wherever you are needed most.
You’re a great technical fit if you have:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 5+ years as a software engineer or equivalent.
- Demonstrated familiarity with agile software development practices and continuous delivery.
- A data-driven approach to measuring product impact.
- A proven commitment to lifelong learning in a rapidly changing technology ecosystem.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position, because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self
- This position offers an annual salary
- We offer an extended benefits package, including health, dental, and vision
- You’ll love our Lifestyle Spending Allowance, with $1,500 / year to spend on fitness activities, transit passes, books, continued learning and more
- Our downtown office is close to lots of great restaurants and easily accessible via transit
- We also pride ourselves on our office coffee and the fridge is always stocked, compliments of Bench
About us Bench is a four-year-old fintech company that automates accounting tasks to organize the financials of small businesses. We pair you with a dedicated bookkeeping team and use simple, elegant software to do your books for you. We've raised $33M to date, serviced thousands of business owners across the country, and currently employ 250 people out of our headquarters in Vancouver, Canada.