We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
We’re a committed and talented group of diverse people working hard to solve a real, universal problem for millions of entrepreneurs: businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses. Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. We’ve paired smart humans with incredibly powerful software to develop the fastest, most efficient bookkeeping service in history. This lets us provide monthly and yearly financials at an incredibly accessible price, giving business owners the time, confidence, and knowledge they need to be successful.
Bench is growing fast. Recently, we’ve onboarded our 10,000th client and our 500th employee. We have a clear, funded path to profitability, and a roadmap that we believe will rapidly accelerate the trajectory of our business. We’re looking for the brightest minds who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible journey, in pursuit of bringing financial mastery to our clients.
What does the Product department look like?
Bench is the world’s largest and most efficient bookkeeping service, built from the ground up with a blend of software, people, and process. Our software product underpins our entire service: our web and mobile apps allow our clients to understand their financials, and our bookkeeping system allows us to efficiently complete the books. And, we're just getting started! 🎉
We aim to continuously reduce the cost of bookkeeping until it is accessible to every small business, while maintaining our world-class client experience and expanding the scope of services we offer to our clients -- including tax filings and banking.
As a Senior Product Manager, you will be a leader in delivering the highest value to the markets we aim to serve in a way that works for Bench. You and other PMs report to a Group Product Manager, which creates space for PMs to be experts in their roles. We are constantly improving how we build products, so you will be a part of creating new ways or utilizing old tricks to discover and deliver customer value. You are someone who loves to share knowledge with teammates and has a focus on direct contribution to the shape of the product.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- Be a leader in our Product Discovery and Delivery
- Demonstrate world class performance levels to raise the bar for our whole team
- Be responsible for the customer value and business viability of the product.
- Work in our own implementation based on the Shape Up process to create shapes and pitches based on Objectives and Key Results.
- Spend a great deal of your time to discover, quantify, and gain insight into our customers’ decision making and their perception of value.
- Determining business viability involves a clear understanding of the constraints for bringing our solutions to market: marketing, sales, support, legal, finance, privacy, etc; as well as informing positioning by understanding competitive landscape and trends.
- Foster innovation by creating space for team members to show their own strengths and love in order for the team to reach its full potential.
- Be empowered and accountable for results. Shipping is necessary but not sufficient.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Enough experience, understanding, and context of building software products to augment our team’s capability to deliver products our customers will love and that work for Bench. Most often, this is 7+ years of being in it.
- A love and understanding of the techniques of modern product discovery and product delivery.
- The ability to describe hard problems and collaborate on solutions with many constraints, using sound judgement to assess risks.
- The ability to lay out your argument in a well-structured, data-informed, clear, and concisely written narrative.
- Proven ability and passion engaging and working with engineers, designers, and company leaders in a constructive and collaborative relationship.
- Experience being a lovely human being.
It could be an even better fit if you have:
- A unique perspective: We know innovation thrives on teams when different points of view come together to solve hard problems. We explicitly seek candidates with a diversity of life experiences, work experiences, educational backgrounds, and cultures. Please be prepared to share how your unique perspective brings value to our teams.
- A nose for value: You can take a big-picture perspective to identify and stay focused on what’s most important.
- Appreciation for systems: our bookkeeping operation and expansion projects are a complex system designed to produce high-quality financials on time, with a high degree of efficiency. You’ll have to think about the full system, connecting the dots to figure out the best solution.
- Startup hustle: You are highly motivated, dedicated, comfortable with change and ambiguity. You have a humble, team-player attitude and are ready to pitch in wherever you are needed most.
- World class aspiration: you are driven to be the best. Always learning and improving to obtain and push higher standards.
- Empathy: We're all just human, y'know?
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- Our office has gone fully remote! We’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one.
- We're augmented by physical space and you'll need to be able to travel to Vancouver regularly (open to discussion) once it’s the right thing to do.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.
About us Bench is a four-year-old fintech company that automates accounting tasks to organize the financials of small businesses. We pair you with a dedicated bookkeeping team and use simple, elegant software to do your books for you. We've raised $33M to date, serviced thousands of business owners across the country, and currently employ 250 people out of our headquarters in Vancouver, Canada.
Want to learn more about Bench? Visit Bench's website.
Come join the Gemini team and help us build the future of money!