Co-op, Bookkeeping Associate [September 2022 - April 2023]
Bench, Vancouver, BC / Remote, Canada
Online bookkeeping that works for you.
We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between managing their books and running their businesses.
Our mission is to make a profound difference in the quality of life of one million people. From creatives to chiropractors, Bench helps thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs master their financial lives. Because understanding your finances should be three things: simple, effortless, and affordable.
We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench and read more about our business here!
What you’ll get up to on the Bookkeeping Operations team:
At Bench, we really believe that people are everything, and our Bookkeeping Associates play one of the most pivotal roles; providing the right mix of elegant and intelligent client assistance, and delivering bookkeeping for small businesses using our revolutionary software and app. Our Associates are directly responsible for helping our clients survive and thrive through monthly and historical bookkeeping. This is important now, more than ever.
You’ll maintain relationships with small business owners from various industries, both on the phone and through our proprietary bookkeeping platform. With or without an accounting background, we’ll provide you with all the tools and training you’ll need to be a highly successful Associate.
In a typical week, Associates will spend roughly 60% of their time completing bookkeeping tasks, 30% of their time communicating with clients, and 10% of their time in meetings or training.
A highly successful Associate looks something like this:
- Problem solver: Excited by numbers, simple math, or problem-solving, and are content with repeat, detailed work.
- Agile: You’ll be working in a fast paced environment with quick turnaround times to deliver for our clients. We need folks who can manage their time well and work within deadlines
- A people-centered approach: You understand that people are everything. You’re collaborative, optimistic and you listen to understand, demonstrating kindness and empathy in all interactions.
- A drive to make things better: You’re not satisfied with “good enough”, and nothing that needs fixing is just someone else’s job. You love to experiment, try new things, and drive improvement; within your own team, and across the organization.
- Startup hustle: You are highly motivated, proactive, comfortable with change and ambiguity. You have a humble, team-player attitude and are ready to pitch in wherever you are needed most
- Constant learning: This role is as challenging as it is rewarding. As long as you’re someone who’s eager to tackle new challenges and quick to learn new concepts, we’ll get you up to speed in no time.
- Data-driven: If you’re someone that thrives off of metrics, statistics, and quarterly targets then you’ll fit right in.
- Communicator: Able to communicate clearly and articulately on the phone and in messaging. (Note: We do not believe in the idea of “standard” accents for the English language).
What you’ll get:
- This is a full-time co-op position from September 2022 - April 2023.
- Check out this inside look at the co-op experience at Bench to read all about the learning & growth opportunities!
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The OTE for this role is $48,300 with a component of these earnings made up of variable pay; this salary will be prorated to the length of your contract.
- In addition, we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, unlimited paid flex days, and full health, dental, and vision.
- You’ll get unlimited access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counselling service to support mental wellbeing, and Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service.
- We have a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- Bench is a fully remote organization and we're open to hiring folks in following provinces: British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.
- You'll have access to our Home Office Setup Fund, to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home, from day one.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.
About us Bench is a four-year-old fintech company that automates accounting tasks to organize the financials of small businesses. We pair you with a dedicated bookkeeping team and use simple, elegant software to do your books for you. We've raised $33M to date, serviced thousands of business owners across the country, and currently employ 250 people out of our headquarters in Vancouver, Canada.
Want to learn more about Bench? Visit Bench's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.
Tech Jobs For You
Customer Sales & Service: Capital Markets/Insurance Transforma...
Accenture, Multiple Locations, USA