Software Engineer - Site Reliability
Betterment, Betterment HQ - New York City
Investing Made Better
Technology is at our core here at Betterment. Site Reliability is a trusted partner throughout the organization which is constantly working to keep everything running smoothly. We do this by building tools for our development teams, improving reliability & performance of our systems and better monitoring and visibility into our services. This helps us move faster and smarter, all while done within a highly regulated and secure environment.
About the right team member:
You have a wealth of experience to draw from, with a background in building and automating, reliable, secure, scalable solutions in the cloud. You are highly motivated by all tasks that come across your desk which range from delivering new tools and systems that make engineering more impactful to working with your peers to help maintain and improve current systems. You are always keeping up with what is going on within the tech industry and strive to learn and share your knowledge with colleagues all while maintaining high productivity. You are intrigued with how to use metrics to effectively drive change. You have a passion for architecting solutions and understand the value of not over engineering them.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Work with engineers across the organization to empower them to move faster while maintaining high quality and speed of delivery
- Be a visionary for collaborative creation of tooling
- Introduce and promote adoption of significant technologies and process innovations
- Coach and mentor our engineers so they grow in their craft as it relates to creating and maintaining high quality software and supporting systems
- Lead design reviews and perform code reviews, providing valuable and actionable feedback to peers
- Make substantial code contributions to our application and configuration management software.
- Improve our software delivery pipeline in a way that makes it both expedient and a tool to promote high quality
- Partner with our security engineers to maintain and continually improve our security tools and practices
- Actively participate in an on call rotation with peers
- Identify gaps in the organization, relating to tooling, processes, or resources, and help devise plans to address them
- Ability to work remotely
You will be effective if you:
- Lean towards tackling large challenges by picking them apart, observing, experimenting, and gathering metrics that can help drive the team towards their goal
- Have ample experience with cloud providers (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, DigitalOcean)
- Have significant experience with automation and configuration management
- Know the importance of architecting and building systems for HighAvailability, Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
- Actively grow your own skills and have a strong technical background
- Work autonomously with minimal direction and oversight
- Are actively growing your own skills in leadership and management, but have a strong technical background and can be hands-on as needed
Technologies you will use:
Everything but the kitchen sink. But if you want a list… AWS, Terraform, Kubernetes, CircleCI, Ruby, Rails, Python, Java, Docker, Ansible, Jenkins, New Relic, Splunk, Gradle, Nginx, Tomcat, Puma, MySQL, Postgresql, Consul, Linux
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $15 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 370,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $9 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 250,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more
Be a Better Betterment Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Betterment when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Betterment? Visit Betterment's website.
Jobs You May Like
Technical Program Manager - Reporting Platform
Senior Data Scientist, Creative
Vungle, San Francisco
Endurance International Group, Mumbai/Bangalore,India
Full Stack Developer (Scala/Java)
Cerebri AI, Washington, D.C.
Machine Learning Engineer
Tradeshift, Bucharest, Romania
Senior Developer Educator - Platforms
Twilio, San Francisco, CA