About the right team member:
You are a compliance leader eager to develop extraordinary broker-dealer and investment adviser compliance programs at a cutting-edge digital adviser. Your experience has taught you how to build out effective and intelligent processes and procedures. You have a business mind, and are always seeking new and improved ways of doing things. You have the confidence and ability to work productively with our regulators and internal team, and can communicate clearly and persuasively. You have experience with both broker-dealer and investment adviser operations.
But, most importantly, you are driven to build an elite compliance department with a world-class team. You don’t want to do things the old ways—you want to improve. You want to build a team and organization we can all be proud of, one that changes the way people think about compliance operations.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Lead our compliance organization, providing guidance and support to our business partners, senior management, and our Board of Directors.
- For both our investment adviser and broker-dealer entities, ensure that appropriate regulatory policies, procedures and controls are established, maintained and well documented.
- Develop and deliver training and communications on compliance policies and procedures to ensure proper understanding of regulatory related risks and responsibilities.
- Take ownership of all ongoing compliance review processes, including annual meetings, Form ADV and Form BD filings, policies and procedures, etc.
- Manage and coordinate SEC and FINRA regulatory examinations, including written responses.
- Partner with the Legal team to analyze changes to regulatory requirements and proactively handle regulatory developments.
- Continue to develop our excellent compliance professionals.
- Become an industry thought leader as we grow and expand our business.
You will be effective if you have:
- A minimum of 6 years experience as a compliance professional at a SEC-registered investment advisor, broker-dealer, or regulator (diversity of experience strongly preferred).
- Experience with rules and regulations applicable to investment advisers and broker-dealers.
- Comfort with ambiguity - capable of solving complex problems independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated success as a values-based leader who can build and maintain a culture of empowerment, ownership, and accountability.
- Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance.
- Demonstrated success at partnering, prioritizing, and balancing needs cross-functionally.
- Substantial experience managing regulatory audits.
- Excellent writer and communicator.
- The ability to roll up your sleeves and get into the details.
- Series 7 and 24 (and have passed the Securities Industry Essentials exam if required).
Bonus points if you have:
- Either been a CCO or the number two compliance professional for a SEC-registered investment advisor and FINRA member broker-dealer.
- Juris Doctor preferred.
- Series 27 or 63.
- Familiarity with operations of broker-dealers subject to 15c3-3.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $15 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 380,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $9 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 250,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more
Be a Better Betterment Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Betterment when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Betterment? Visit Betterment's website.
Jobs You May Like
Financial Analyst, FP&A
LiveRamp, San Francisco, CA
Senior Financial Analyst
Narvar, San Francisco, CA
Counsel, APAC Marketing Legal
Netflix, Singapore, Singapore
Form Analyst (Internship)
Entrepreneur First Team, Singapore
Manager, Brokerage Operations
Convoy, Atlanta, Georgia
Wombat Security Technologies, Pittsburgh