About the right team member
You are passionate about using data to help all parts of a business learn and continuously improve. You make things happen, you anticipate needs and changes, you learn from the data and you are able to help adapt. You have extensive experience building out a world class analytics team and empowering them to establish strategic initiatives, identify hypotheses and business questions, implement tests, analyze results, and influence decisions. You don’t just want to know how things work, you identify data-driven ways to make them work better. You love turning questions into discoveries and improvements. LTV, NPV, ROI, and OKR are more than just acronyms; they are old friends and you know how to translate them into meaningful targets for companies, teams, and individuals. You enjoy communicating insights to help the team make better decisions. You have a deep understanding of applied statistics and the power and limitations of different analytical approaches. You are a technical master, but are pragmatic in your approach to deliver timely insights and recommendations.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Lead the analytics and data science team, including but not limited to, setting the analytics/data science strategy of the company, managing and mentoring analysts on the team, and scaling the team to meet the needs of the company
- Work with the management team to set the strategic vision of the company and identify opportunities where outcomes can be improved through data-driven decisions
- Work across the entire organization to help define, set, and track OKRs for success
- Partner with other teams to frame up business questions, determine analytic approaches, and turn data into insight and insight into actionable business decisions
- Prioritize the large analytics projects in addition to numerous ad-hoc requests from the company
- Work closely with Product, Marketing, Sales, Customer Experience and FP&A to deliver operational results
- Participate in company strategy development and operational capacity allocations
- Manage the entire analytics technology stack
- Evangelize the best practices and tools for accessing data to make data-driven decisions throughout the entire organization
You will be effective if you have:
- 8+ years of work experience in analytics or data science, working with big datasets in the financial and/or consumer online industries
- 4+ years of experience managing a team, with proven ability to attract, develop and inspire top talent in analytics and data science
- Advanced degree in Mathematics, Economics, Engineering, Statistics, or other quantitative field
- Experience in some combination of the following fields: marketing analytics, website analytics, product analytics, statistics, data science, quant research
- An extensive track record that demonstrates effectiveness in driving business results through advanced analytics across a broad array of problems
- Ability to distill complex statistical concepts and methodologies, and articulate insights to cross-functional teams and clients with varying levels of knowledge in this space
- A successful history of translating business objectives and problems into analytic problems, and analytic solutions into actionable business solutions
- Expertise in analytics programming/query tools (R, SQL, etc.) and business intelligence tools (Looker, Tableau, etc.)
- Expertise in crafting A/B tests and multivariate tests
- Embodies the highest level of integrity; a values-based leader who can build and maintain a positive culture that motivates people to do the best work of their lives
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience in a fast-growing, technology company
- SaaS experience
- Experience with both B2C and B2B companies a plus
- Predictive modeling skills
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $10 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 270,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $9 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 250,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more
Be a Better Betterment Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Betterment when you watch classes taught by their top employees.