Betterment is a smart money manager that offers cash management services, alongside their core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, they empower their hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and Tax Smart strategies that help keep taxes low across accounts. Learn more at www.betterment.com.
About the Role:
As our Director of Acquisition Marketing, you will develop and own our acquisition marketing strategy at a time of hyper growth. We’re seeking someone analytically minded, with passion for introducing consumers to products that will make their lives better. You will oversee strategy, execution, optimization, and analysis to build a scalable business, continuously maximizing the current programs, and testing and scaling new efforts. To be successful in this role you will be both curious, creative, and hands-on. We’ll look to you to be data savvy and a successful collaborator, bringing data to your narratives to influence our growth.
This role is remote eligible. We are hiring in all states except CO.
A Day in the Life:
- Develop and own the acquisition marketing strategy, including a multi-million dollar budget for our direct-to-consumer business line
- Set annual and quarterly OKRs for the team, and track results on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis to provide insight into sales/revenue targets and ensure we are spending money wisely
- Oversee all media buying activities, including identifying new sources of customer acquisition, researching new areas of media, creative, and messaging to increase spend efficiency
- Manage and mentor acquisition team members, and drive a culture of continual analysis, testing, experimentation, and optimization
- Collaborate with and complement the work of our full Marketing Team (CRM, Brand, PR, Product Marketing, and Content) to ensure we’re achieving maximum results
- Build strategic and trusted relationships across the organization, particularly with Design, Analytics, Finance, and Product, as we think about adequate resourcing and support of our initiatives
- Partner with agencies and other external partners, negotiating to get the most for our investment and building strong long-term relationships
What We’re Looking For:
- More than a few years of experience in performance marketing, as well as an understanding of and appreciation for how performance marketing and brand-building initiatives work together
- Strong analytical abilities with a passion for data-informed decision making
- Experience efficiently scaling both digital (e.g. SEM, Display, Paid Social, Affiliate) and offline (e.g. TV, podcasts, direct mail, out-of-home) marketing channels
- Success in managing agencies and other external partners to receive optimal value
- Comprehensive people management skills; the ability to lead at an empathetic, high EQ organization
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 4-6 weeks to complete the interview process. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $9 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 250,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more
Be a Better Betterment Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Betterment when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Betterment? Visit Betterment's website.
The best bed for better sleep