Securities Data Operations Associate
Betterment, Betterment HQ - New York City
Investing Made Better
Betterment is a technology-driven financial services company that offers services for spending and saving, alongside its core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, Betterment empowers its hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and tax-smart strategies that help keep taxes low. Learn more at www.betterment.com.
About the Role:
At Betterment, our SecData team is core to the growth of the investment platform. We are true subject matter experts, eager to support the expanding range of portfolios available to our clients. There is no job too big or too small for us; we are focused, and we always strive for excellence.
You are a process-driven individual who loves checking items off your to-do list. You are always thinking of ways to make complicated tasks more efficient, while keeping a keen eye on the big picture. You have a knack for anticipating when a situation could be risky and quickly resolving it appropriately.
You are extremely detail-oriented with a passion for organization. You grasp complex topics quickly and are adept at thinking on your feet to solve problems in a creative and holistic manner. You are a strong communicator who enjoys interacting with other people to address any issue that comes your way. You are excited to support internal/external partners and play a crucial role in keeping our business growing and running smoothly.
This role is not remote eligible. We are looking to hire this role in our NYC HQ office location.
A Day in the Life:
- Drive daily securities operations, including troubleshooting automated dividend reconciliation across all customer accounts, reviewing and processing corporate actions, and managing data streams that directly support the platform.
- Research and onboard new securities in coordination with multiple stakeholders, including Investing/Capital Markets, Engineering, and Relationship Management teams.
- Troubleshoot data and processing discrepancies, investigate root causes, and collaborate with the Engineering team to employ fixes.
- Define and document new operational processes to support advancements in Betterment’s investment suite.
- Interact with external partners and vendors on to explore new data integrations and remediate issues with existing ones.
What We’re Looking For:
- Prior experience at a financial institution, preferably in operations, finance or investing
- Familiarity with corporate action events and processing
- Proficiency in Excel/Google Sheets, with experience in data analysis and reconciliation
- Detail-oriented mindset and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to learn quickly and problem solve on the fly with little guidance
- Good intuition and ability to assess unclear situations with limited information, with an eye to always doing what’s best for our customers
Strong, concise written and verbal communication skills
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $9 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 250,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more
Be a Better Betterment Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Betterment when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Betterment? Visit Betterment's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.
Tech Jobs For You
Sr. Corporate FP&A Manager - Technology
Flexport, Dallas, Texas, United States, San Francisco, CA, United S...