Betterment is a technology-driven financial services company that offers services for spending and saving, alongside its core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, Betterment empowers its hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money - for today, tomorrow, and someday - through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and tax-smart strategies that keep taxes low. Lear more at www.betterment.com.
About the role:
The Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team is responsible for facilitating corporate-level decision-making at Betterment, guiding company-wide financial planning, and scaling new and existing financial processes. They maintain the company’s operating model, provide forward-looking analysis across the org to support business outcomes, and analyze capital allocation decisions. This role will report into the Head of FP&A and join a tight-knit team that is an integral part of the organization. This group is a trusted advisor to business leaders to plan and project for the future but nimble when it comes to the conditions changing.
This role is not remote eligible. We are looking to hire this role in our NYC.
A Day in the life:
- Manage the company’s long-term financial model, including forecasting, budgeting, resource allocation, and long-range planning.
- Collaborate with business units to manage budgets, headcount reporting, and various special projects.
- Work with strategy and GMs to develop and lead insight-first presentations.
- Support those partners through data-driven insights to help make decisions and navigate challenges.
- Developing KPIs to track team- and company-level performance, and identifying opportunities for growth or increased efficiency.
- Build, maintain, and improve financial reporting to measure and track results against expectations.
- Communicate results and trends to management with appropriate recommendations for action when results drift from the forecast.
- Assist in preparing materials with the CFO, including board decks, investors materials, and other executive updates.
- Partnering with Accounting to identify and execute on key milestones as the company matures.
What we’re looking for:
- 5-8 years of industry experience with budgeting / planning, financial modeling, and decision analytics (e.g. FP&A, corporate finance, investment banking, private equity).
- Driven self-starter that enjoys rolling up your sleeves and building complex financial models in Excel or other planning applications.
- Familiarity with a quickly changing environment and ability to adapt on the fly.
- A knack for taking raw data, analyzing, drawing conclusions, and developing actionable recommendations.
- Ability to wear multiple hats -- act as a financial model guru, internal consultant, and business strategist.
- Strengths in working across disciplines to present and instantly build rapport with stakeholders.
- Undergraduate degree in finance / economics / accounting / mathematics preferred.
- Experience in working with Netsuite, SQL, or Looker a plus.
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, benefit packages that fit your needs (infertility and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits available), flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $9 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 250,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more
Be a Better Betterment Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Betterment when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Betterment? Visit Betterment's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one