Betterment is a smart money manager that offers cash management services, alongside their core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, they empower their hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and Tax Smart strategies that help keep taxes low across accounts. Learn more at www.betterment.com.
About the Role:
Operations sits at the heart of Betterment, partnering cross-functionally as we grow and driving forward initiatives across the business. As Director of Operations, you’ll be responsible for leading multiple core operational teams to complete all transactional processing and deliver excellent customer outcomes.
Your teams will cover functions consisting of account opening and approval, transfers and money movements, risk reviews, customer life events, and more. In your role you will manage and develop talent, analyze and plan for company growth, and find and implement efficiencies across the team.
You will also partner cross-functionally to improve processes between teams and collaborate on any new products or initiatives, bringing your knowledge and experience as we innovate within the financial services world.
This role is based out of our NYC Headquarters.
A Day in the Life:
- Oversee the daily operations of Betterment’s broker-dealer entity, working with the team managers to implement and enhance processes, improve training, and effectively monitor team status
- Act as the ultimate escalation point and decision maker for any issues, stepping in and owning the full remediation process in conjunction with partners in engineering, product, legal, or finance
- Work to improve processes and implement automation, prioritizing builds and partnering with product and engineering teams to deliver the enhancements
- Manage and ensure appropriate team capacity through the planning process by determining future staffing needs, advocating for resources, and implementing hiring plans
- Build out the associate onboarding and training process, implementing appropriate metrics and milestones
- Grow and develop the careers of your managers and associate teams through mentoring, coaching, and various learning and development opportunities
What We’re Looking For:
- Deep and varied experience as a manager, including management of multiple teams or functions
- Experience in or a working knowledge of financial services, preferably from an operational or brokerage perspective
- Strong analytical abilities with a passion for data-inspired decision making
- The ability to switch gears quickly and effectively, with excellent communication skills to ensure proper stakeholder engagement along the way
- FINRA Series licenses (e.g. 7, 99, 24, or 27) or the ability to rapidly obtain
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to complete the interview process. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $9 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 250,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more
Be a Better Betterment Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Betterment when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Betterment? Visit Betterment's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.