Client Experience Associate [401(k) Participant Support]
Betterment, United States
Investing Made Better
Betterment is a smart money manager that offers cash management services, alongside their core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, they empower their hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and Tax Smart strategies that help keep taxes low across accounts. Learn more at www.betterment.com. Betterment for Business is an award winning 401(k) solution that works as hard for your money as you work to earn it.
About the Role:
The Customer Experience team at Betterment is key to enhancing our customer-focused product, supporting its users, and is relied on by every team in our organization. As a Participant Support Associate you will help to provide support to 401(k) plan participants whose employers have chosen Betterment for Business for their company’s retirement plan. As a Participant Support Associate, you like working with people, fixing things, and are a master at the art of the analogy. You understand what it means to be a champion of a brand. You are the voice for customers, and relish providing them with that “wow” moment. You understand what it is like to be a customer, and appreciate going above and beyond to delight people and solve their problems. In this role, you will be joining a tight-knit team that is an integral part of the organization.
Recent graduates are welcome!
This role is 100% remote. We are hiring in all states except: NY, NJ, PA, CT, CA, CO, ME, WA
A Day in the Life:
- Deliver above-and-beyond customer service and experiences through phone, email, or live chat.
- Explain complex transactional and investment principles clearly, helping prospects and customers see the benefits of our products.
- Troubleshoot customer issues and concerns, investigating why they happened, and communicating with multiple teams to find rapid resolutions.
- Act as the internal voice of the customer, offering insights to all areas of the business to help build a better product.
- Work closely with our Betterment for Business Plan Support team to find solutions at a plan and participant level.
What We’re Looking For:
- Expertise with customer service, financial services, or retail banking. Experience with 401(k)s is a plus!
- Technical savvy, specifically the ability to navigate multiple complex systems simultaneously to respond to customer inquiries
- Exceptional written communication skills and ability to build rapport - you will speak with our customers through email and in real-time over our live chat feature
- Weekend and flexible availability
- Customer service, call center or related experience working with CRM systems (For example: Zendesk, Salesforce, Jira,, Desk, ZoHo, etc.)
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $9 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 250,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more
Be a Better Betterment Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Betterment when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Betterment? Visit Betterment's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.