About the Role:
The Security Engineering team is a trusted partner throughout the organization. We work hard to make Betterment the most secure place for our customers’ money. We do this by building tools for our development teams, improving the security and integrity of our systems and adding monitoring and visibility into our services. This helps us move faster and smarter, all while done within a highly regulated and secure environment.
You have experience as a software engineer or security professional working with various stakeholders across the organization. You use this experience to guide your decision making, ranging from communication style to software architecture. You are a highly motivated engineer who will work on tasks such as delivering new tools and systems that make engineering more impactful or working with your peers to help improve the security and reliability of our systems. You will work with our Security Operations Center (SOC) to monitor, triage, and remedy security events while also improving detection logic. You are always keeping up with what is going on within the tech industry and strive to learn and share your knowledge with colleagues. You are interested in collecting data and metrics and know how to use them to effectively drive change.
This role is remote eligible. For Colorado only, this role has an annual salary range of $205,000-$225,000, a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, a 401(k) offering with employer match, wellness stipend, and a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of an incentive bonus.
A Day in the Life:
- Understand attacker methodology and defend against them by threat hunting, building detection mechanisms, and automating remediation procedures.
- Continuously improve security detection and audit capabilities using tools and signals that evolve with the ever changing security landscape and threats.
- Work directly in building and integrating security tooling & features, & work across engineering teams to ensure secure consumer products and employee systems
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to guide security & privacy initiatives by participating in design reviews, code reviews, & threat modeling
- Create alert logic, metrics and tooling and remedy security events
- Introduce and promote adoption of significant technologies and process innovations
- Promote high quality, secure software through software delivery pipeline automation
- Build out our Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) solution, incident response, and forensic capabilities.
- Pentest our various web and mobile applications and our networks and servers alongside our expert team
What We’re Looking For:
- Have experience with cloud providers and configuration management (e.g. AWS or GCP)
- Lean towards tackling large challenges by picking them apart, observing, experimenting, and gathering metrics that can help drive the team towards better observability
- Responded to security incidents and built out tooling to automate response
- Know the importance of architecting and building systems for High-availability, Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
- Actively grow your own skills and have a strong technical background
- Work autonomously with minimal direction and oversight
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self and make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, benefit packages that fit your needs (including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits), a Self Care stipend of $600 per year to invest in your wellness however you see fit, as well as additional professional development funds.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $9 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 250,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more
Be a Better Betterment Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Betterment when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Betterment? Visit Betterment's website.
Payroll Services. Benefits. Compliance.