Director of Total Rewards and People Operations
Betterment, Betterment HQ - New York City
Investing Made Better
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our growing team of 400+ is passionate about our mission to make people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, with hubs in Philadelphia and D.C, and offer in-office, hybrid, and remote working based on role and location.
About the Role:
As Director of Total Rewards & People Operations at Betterment, reporting to the Chief People Officer, you will play a critical role, focusing on delivering operational excellence on a day to day basis and to build a scalable, sustainable, world class HR offering. You will be a highly collaborative professional leading Total Rewards and People Operations framework. You will successfully lead the ongoing transformation of Betterment’s programs by driving the planning, vision, compliance and development of the total rewards program. Reporting to the Chief People Officer and collaborating with other senior key stakeholders, you will transform current processes and support a growing, dynamic organization. Areas of responsibilities include compensation, equity, benefits, wellness, compliance, people analytics and HRIS.
Please note this role is not 100% remote eligible. Betterment has a hybrid in-office/remote workforce, and for this position we are looking to hire an individual that can be at NYC HQ.
A Day in the Life:
- Own the development, implementation, and evolution of core programs in the employee lifecycle for seamless employee experience across payroll, benefits, onboarding and offboarding, including immigration and compliance practices and broader HR policies
- Provide operational and technology support and analyses for compensation, benefits, performance management, engagement, and recruiting
- Evaluate and effectively manage relationships with benefit providers and HR technology vendors
- Accountable for global HR system data integrity, reporting and analytics
- Recommend and implement appropriate innovative processes across the HR organization, serving as project manager for all initiatives involving HR data, systems and implementation of platforms
- Review and adapt the People Team’s service delivery structure to meet changing business needs (ie – some programs delivered centrally through the People Operations team and some through HR business partners or talent acquisition teams)
- Manage employee records and policies, implementing adequate processes and audits, in compliance with recent employment law updates (ie - national/local laws, COVID-19 updates, new hire notification requirements, labor laws, unemployment claims, records retention policies, etc)
What We’re Looking For:
- Relevant experience in Business, Human Resources Management, Finance, or related field.
- Human Resources Leadership experience, with focus on compensation, benefits, and related functions.
- Significant experience with direct focus on implementation, communication and management of Total Rewards programs, including at the executive level
- Financial ability and experience using data driven approaches to identify and implement to support work
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your whole self and make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, benefit packages that fit your needs (including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits), a Self Care stipend of $600 per year to invest in your wellness however you see fit, as well as additional professional development opportunity.
- You’ll have flexible paid time off, and a team that cares about you, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs as well as weekly company meetings.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $9 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 250,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more
Be a Better Betterment Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Betterment when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Betterment? Visit Betterment's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.