Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our growing team of 400+ is passionate about our mission to make people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, with hubs in Philadelphia and D.C, and offer in-office, hybrid, and remote working based on role and location.
About The Role:
The Data Enablement Engineering team at Betterment sits at the intersection of the Product Analytics and Data Platform teams - serving as the domain and technical experts that translate business needs into beautiful data products. We own data cleanliness end-to-end, from architecting and transforming raw data to data pipelining for improved workflows and self-service dashboarding. These projects add tremendous value to the business and we are looking for more thoughtful, driven, and curious people to push the business even further.
This role is remote eligible. For Colorado only, this role has an annual salary range of $145,000-$150,000, a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, a 401(k) offering with employer match, wellness stipend, and a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of an incentive bonus.
A Day in the Life:
- Be a key curator of data. You will build and maintain the reporting layer of our team’s data environment to make data standardized, easily accessible, and performant.
- Work closely with Product Engineering and our stakeholders to create the data needed to market and measure the success of our product launches
- Maintain and optimize monitoring and alerting for our company’s reporting pipelines and analytics infrastructure.
- Find ways to spread knowledge and increase data literacy across the organization.
- Think about scale and new technologies that will enable us to achieve a high level of efficiency for our data platforms.
What We’re Looking For:
- 2 - 4 years of experience writing SQL statements and transforming data.
- Familiarity with ETL, Python, and creating pipelines for large datasets.
- Experience scaling self-service tools (e.g. Business Intelligence) and and a passion for scaling and automating analytics work.
- Ability to take apart business problems, translate them into technical requirements, and translate back to non-technical audiences.
- Strong opinions about the ideal toolset to enable a high-functioning data team.
- Autonomy, curiosity, and tenacity as a data issue detective.
- Been exposed to DBT, Looker, Airflow, Segment, and/or DAGs.
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, benefit packages that fit your needs (infertility and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits available), flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $9 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 250,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more
Be a Better Betterment Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Betterment when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Betterment? Visit Betterment's website.
The social news and entertainment company.