At BetterUp, we give people the coaching, support, and push they need to reach peak performance and unlock their limitless potential, in all they do, personally and professionally. We work with world-class experts and Coaches, pioneer innovative technology, and foster human touch at scale to fuel the BetterUp experience, and make growth and development achievable for all. We believe that practicing strong mental fitness is a never-ending practice of maintaining and building the strengths that proceed health, happiness, and success.
And we’re looking to build out a diverse and ambitious team of go-getters to join us as we grow. Exciting opportunities lie ahead, as well as work that makes a real difference — not only in the lives of others, but for your own personal and professional growth, too. Join us as we continue to bring BetterUp to more people everywhere, and create impactful change for our members and for you.
We are seeking a People Scientist to join the People Science team in our Labs organization. People Science is an interdisciplinary team of behavioral scientists who strive to bridge the research-practitioner divide through the development of evidence-based product experiences that accelerate human flourishing. As a People Scientist, you will initiate and lead mixed-methods research efforts independently and in partnership with the broader Labs team. You will collaborate with designers, engineers, product managers, and cross-functional partners to leverage research to innovate blended human-led and digital interventions, as well as deliver compelling and actionable written, in-person, and visual presentations on your findings. Lastly, you will act as the voice of behavioral science in the product function and your research will be instrumental in defining the next generation of BetterUp products for a global audience.
What you’ll do:
- Acting as a subject matter expert on human flourishing, behavior change, learning, and/or human development within the product function.
- Proactively identifying opportunities to utilize research to support and inform the strategic priorities of the product team.
- Integrating social science theory and peer-reviewed research knowledge to develop innovative human-led and digital interventions that support human flourishing.
- Executing qualitative and quantitative formative product research projects, including exploratory data analysis, survey research, interviews, and focus groups.
- Leading on and off-platform experimentation including experimental design, recruiting/sampling, data collection, and data analysis.
- Delivering compelling written and visual presentations of actionable research findings to non-academic audiences to influence product solutions.
- Partnering with designers, product managers, and cross-functional stakeholders throughout the product development lifecycle to integrate evidence-based principles into product solutions.
- Leading the measurement and assessment strategy within your assigned product verticals by attaining alignment with internal stakeholders, including go-to-market and product teams.
If you have some or all of the following, please apply:
- Required: Advanced degree (PhD required) in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Behavioral Economics, Social Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Data Science, Human Development, or a related field.
- Required: At least 3 years of relevant industry (non-academic) experience as a hands-on applied researcher, preferably in a product organization.
- Expertise in both applied quantitative and qualitative methods (e.g., interview, focus groups, survey design, intervention experimentation, thematic analysis).
- Expertise in multivariate statistical techniques and willingness to learn new approaches as needed.
- Experience with, or openness to being trained on, various data analytic and experimentation tools and platforms (e.g., R, Looker, Braze, SQL).
- Ability to quickly tailor and design effective, appropriate research methodologies within time and resource constraints.
- Ability to create compelling presentations and confidently convey research insights through storytelling to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience influencing business and product decisions using research and data.
- Confident in taking the lead on research projects, particularly within trans-disciplinary and cross-functional teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Active learner, actively seeking to expand and share knowledge and experience in behavioral science and applied research to best support the evolving needs of the team.
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- All federal/statutory holidays observed
- 4 BetterUp Inner Workdays (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Holiday charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
- 401(k) self contribution
We are dedicated to building diverse teams that fuel an authentic workplace and sense of belonging for each and every employee. We know applying for a job can be intimidating, please don’t hesitate to reach out — we encourage everyone interested in joining us to apply.
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
About us At BetterUp, we believe it takes two people to develop great leaders: an individual who's ready for new challenges and a world class coach. Our innovative approach fast tracks leadership development and helps employees at all levels in their organization find more meaning and satisfaction in their roles to do their best work. BetterUp pairs employees with a dedicated, expert coach to cultivate the leadership behaviors they need to thrive. Our mobile-first platform facilitates convenient, frequent touch points and continuous learning to prepare rising leaders for new challenges. Created by a team of behavioral scientists, researchers, and technologists, BetterUp’s Behavioral Insights uses data from regular assessments to give companies critical insights into workforce development and measurable results across 25 key leadership dimensions.
Want to learn more about BetterUp? Visit BetterUp's website.
German engineered blades and shaving cream online for a fair price