Senior Medical Editor
BGB is a healthcare communications agency that offers a wide range of services, including traditional pharmaceutical advertising, promotional medical education, payer marketing, and consulting services. Known for excellence and professionalism, we’re hired as strategic and creative partners by our biopharmaceutical clients to drive category/brand awareness and growth.
We have a flexible workforce, offering in-office (post pandemic), remote, and hybrid job opportunities. Our home base is in SoHo, New York City, where we have our large, light-filled duplex loft that features panoramic views of lower Manhattan.
The Senior Medical Editor is responsible for the editorial integrity of all pieces developed and produced by our medical communications agency. This position ensures all pieces are grammatically and factually flawless and that they comply with AMA style, client style, and FDA rules and regulations. The Senior Medical Editor contributes the fullest extent of their knowledge and understanding toward maintaining the highest levels of quality control. This position reports to the Editorial Supervisor or Group Editorial Supervisor and Director. Specific responsibilities include:
- Edits initial round of jobs for all assigned accounts for content as well as for AMA style, client style, FDA rules and regulations, grammar, spelling, consistency within the piece and among related pieces within a campaign
- Fact-checks initial round of jobs and subsequent rounds as necessary (has the ability to understand scientific and medical data to ensure copy accurately represents the source from which it was taken)
- Ensures the quality of format and visual quality of layout
- Performs all editorial reviews (i.e., initial full-edit through release), including copyedits, W4Ws, fact-checks, and check changes at designated times in the job life cycle
- Creates and maintains comprehensive style guides for all assigned accounts
- Attends status and kickoff meetings for all assigned accounts; participates in the development of timelines when appropriate
- Establishes solid working relationships with all internal brand team and department members
- Provides backup to other members of the Editorial department, including the Editorial Manager, Group Editorial Supervisor, and Director
- Accurately tracks time spent on each job and enters in time-tracking system on a daily basis
- Keeps the Editorial Supervisor or Group Editorial Supervisor abreast of workload/workflow and status of assigned accounts as needed
- Follows through with freelance on their work to ensure editorial quality. This may include tracking of individual job deadlines, and review of jobs on which he or he is Editor of Record
- Assists as a training resource for freelance or newer employees
- Manages all aspects of assigned accounts without need for daily supervision
- Promotes collaborative approach among team members by taking the initiative in establishing and maintaining the flow of communications
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g., English or Life Sciences) is required
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in medical education preferred, or relevant experience in pharmaceutical advertising, medical publishing, or medical communication
- Proficient in AMA style and FDA rules and regulations
- Proficient in basic grammar and spelling rules
- Knowledge of all proofing and editing symbols
- Skilled in editing digitally using software such as ProofHQ, Adobe Acrobat Pro markup tools, and track changes in Microsoft Word, as well as on hard copy
- Ability to ensure scientific accuracy by fact-checking all relevant copy
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize tasks
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness to assume a mentoring role within the Editorial department
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
About BGB Group
About us BGB Group is a marketing communications organization that supports the promotional and educational objectives of pharmaceutical, biotech and medical device clients. Its two agencies subsidiaries, BGB New York and BIONYC, offer capabilities that span medical and marketing consulting, promotional advertising, medical education and digital execution.
Want to learn more about BGB Group? Visit BGB Group's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.