Blue Bottle Coffee, Oakland, CA
Coffee Roaster - Brewers, Subscriptions & Brewing Guides
- Ensure Blue Bottle’s multiple facilities are kept in pristine condition while minimally disrupting other teams’ operations, deliciousness of products, and hospitality toward guests
- Create new facility preservation strategies, programs and processes that scale easily and keep facility quality high as the company continues to add locations
- Partner with Blue Bottle’s NCO, Cafe, and Production teams to always understand the state of preservation of each Blue Bottle facility as it compares to our standards for equipment and fixture quality and performance, intervening quickly and effectively where needed
- Attract, coach, and inspire an incredible Facilities team including project managers, equipment repair technicians, and other specialists that always deliver against our high standards
- Select key vendors for each regional operation through vetting equipment suppliers, maintenance contractors, technical contractors, security contractors and pest control services while balancing time, cost, and strategic relationships
- Manage the overall repairs and maintenance budget and ensure that we are always finding the most cost-effective ways to keep Blue Bottle’s facilities both beautiful and operating as intended
- Define and schedule rotational maintenance of Blue Bottle’s various facilities, effectively prioritizing both short-term upkeep and long-term, necessary facility investments and major building renewals
- Develop a thorough reporting and tracking system with facilities data such as equipment and fixture install, upkeep, downtime, and expected yearly maintenance. Utilize this reporting and tracking system to create a feedback loop with which to help guide Blue Bottle’s Development team to make the best possible decisions with respect to future builds
- Lead the benchmarking of equipment additions to our catalogue, establishing when we select potential new equipment that meet our technical and aesthetic standards to replace in-use assets
- A strategic thinker who is excited to roll up your sleeves when the work requires it
- Detail-oriented and a maniacal creator of lists, schedules and process diagrams, yet flexible and ‘can do’ when the inevitable surprise pops up that requires urgency and creativity to resolve
- Always ahead of schedule, you anticipate problems beforehand and take preventive measures to resolve them before they become an actual issue for our employees or our guests
- Empathetic and hospitable, always eager to listen to and understand the needs of Blue Bottlers across the company and then over-deliver in ways that consistently delight your colleagues
- A quick reader of people and situations who is able to accurately troubleshoot issues, gauge the capabilities of your team and contractors, and deploy the right people to the right problem
- An excellent communicator who is the nexus from which our Cafe, Development, and other teams gain information and confidence about the status of each facility and its maintenance
- An experienced leader of people who empowers and trusts your team, delegates responsibility and seeks teaching moments to continuously grow and improve your team’s skills
- 5+ years leading facility operations, maintenance/repair, etc. and creating related processes and programs for a fast-growing consumer company with 30+ locations in multiple cities
- 3+ years leading multi-disciplined teams with diverse backgrounds and roles, ideally across multiple geographies
- 3+ years managing CMMS facilities software solutions
- Broad knowledge of a range of facility preservation and maintenance strategies and tactics
- General mechanical knowledge for building systems including HVAC, plumbing, electrical, IT infrastructure, etc. and understanding of common maintenance issues and their fixes
- Ideally familiarity with coffee equipment such as espresso machines, hot water towers, grinders and culinary equipment such as ovens, ventilation fans, ranges, refrigerators, etc.
- Last but not least, a deep love for great coffee, food, and exceptional guest experiences
- The following is a list of the physical activity, requirements, and environmental factors related to this role. Blue Bottle is committed to partnering with all candidates and employees to ensure reasonable accommodations are made to meet the following:
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word;
- Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Making substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal and written documentation
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Occasionally walking, climbing stairs, and standing occur in this role.
- Environment: this role is protected within a building, but may be exposed to mild changes in temperature with heating or air conditioning.
A few benefits we offer
- Health, dental, and vision coverage for eligible employees starting on your first day
- 401(k) plan
- Paid time off
- Free drinks at any of our cafes and a complimentary bag of beans to take home each week
- Discounts on any Blue Bottle food items and merchandise
About Blue Bottle Coffee
Blue Bottle Coffee is a passionate team of hundreds around the world, united by the simple purpose of getting great coffee to everyone who asks for it whether that be in our cafes or at home. Blue Bottle is headquartered in Oakland, CA and have retail and business operations in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, New York, and Tokyo.
We roast on three coasts using vintage gear, put it in compostable bags, and get it to our customers within 48 hours. We are baristas, managers, roasters & production specialists, chefs, engineers, designers, analysts, technicians, and more. We craft delicious drinks, treat our guests with the utmost care and respect, bake cookies, clean up after ourselves, get change at the bank, and say please and thank you. We offer the less able our seats on the bus and brush and floss daily. And we want you to join our team, who we believe to be the most talented, kindest, and hardest-working in the business.