Assistant Cafe Leader
Blue Bottle Coffee, Northern California
Coffee Roaster - Brewers, Subscriptions & Brewing Guides
- A leader who loves coaching others and is patient and adaptive in helping learners of different styles and backgrounds succeed
- Someone who raises the bar and sets a high standard for themselves and others
- A superb communicator who imparts information effectively and delivers constructive feedback in a way that is effective and kind
- Someone who demonstrates sound judgment and decision-making skills; faces difficult situations with an open and positive attitude toward problem solving
- A collaborator who knows what obstacles to remove to simplify processes and get work accomplished; you stay nimble, communicate clearly, and show a bias towards action
- Dedicated to your team and your guests—you understand and value empathy and use it to guide interactions on and off the job
- Passionate about the planet and creating a sustainable future for our people, the company, and our planet.
- Eligible to work in the United States and 18 years of age or older
- Partner closely with the Cafe Leader to launch and drive all cafe and company initiatives
- Support all training, learning, and development activities for new and current team members
- Partner with the Cafe Leader to review financial reporting, identifying and driving changes needed to improve financial performance and business sustainability
- Place orders to keep optimal inventory levels of coffee, culinary items, and other supplies, ensuring that we are always able to meet the requests of our guests while minimizing waste
- Communicate our company values for a sustainable future to team members and inspire them to help Blue Bottle achieve our company-wide sustainability goals
- Lead your shift by ensuring the right people are in the right places and that the team is giving exceptional hospitality and executing every beverage and food item according to Blue Bottle standards
- Guide completion of operational tasks and adherence to Blue Bottle standards and safety guidelines
- Provide timely and consistent feedback to your team to inspire continuous improvement in workflow, hospitality, and product quality
- Prepare delicious beverages and food to quality standards
- Promote a safe and respectful working environment
- Uphold and follow all health, food safety, and safety guidelines
- 1 year working in a leadership role or experience leading a team, with a strong preference for coffee, food, and beverage
- Completed Blue Bottle’s Barista Essentials training and validation program or will complete it within 90 days post-hire
- Existing Food Safety Certification required for the state you will be working in and your specific role or will obtain it within 30 days post-hire
- Familiarity with online collaboration and organization tools including Google Docs
- A flexible schedule and are available to work mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays
Our Assistant Cafe Leader position is a dynamic one! Below we’ve mapped out the physical demands that are essential to the role:
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time. You’re on your feet the majority of the day, whether you are standing behind bar pulling shots or walking the cafe floor
- Use of hands to reach, grip, turn and perform precision work. You’re using your hands to operate beautiful espresso machines, pour delicious pour overs, and operate the register (among other responsibilities)
- As needed squat, bend, twist and reach for items below waist level or above shoulders. For example, you may have to bend down or reach up to grab cups, lids and towels
- Ability to lift, push/pull, carry and/or move up to 50 pounds. For example, you’ll be handling bags of coffee beans, coffee kegs, crates of milk, tub of dishes and trash bins
- As needed climb ladders, stairs, ramps and uneven floor and/or surfaces. For example, climb on a step stool to change menu slacks, go up and down stairs and ramps to storage areas
- Ability to smell and taste. You’re tasting and smelling coffee and food, helping ensure quality control for each cup and plate
- Ability to listen and speak. You’re listening and speaking with our guests to guide and create experiences
A few benefits we offer
- Health, dental, and vision coverage for eligible employees starting on your first day
- After 90 days of employment, team members working in San Francisco may be eligible to enroll in a company sponsored San Francisco Medical Reimbursement Account (SF MRA).
- 401(k) plan
- Paid time off
- Free drinks at any of our cafes
- Discounts on any Blue Bottle food items and merchandise
About Blue Bottle Coffee
Blue Bottle Coffee is a passionate team of hundreds around the world, united by the simple purpose of getting great coffee to everyone who asks for it whether that be in our cafes or at home. Blue Bottle is headquartered in Oakland, CA and have retail and business operations in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, New York, and Tokyo.
We roast on three coasts using vintage gear, put it in compostable bags, and get it to our customers within 48 hours. We are baristas, managers, roasters & production specialists, chefs, engineers, designers, analysts, technicians, and more. We craft delicious drinks, treat our guests with the utmost care and respect, bake cookies, clean up after ourselves, get change at the bank, and say please and thank you. We offer the less able our seats on the bus and brush and floss daily. And we want you to join our team, who we believe to be the most talented, kindest, and hardest-working in the business.
Want to learn more about Blue Bottle Coffee? Visit Blue Bottle Coffee's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.