We’re here to create a safer, happier and more mindful future for all with the help of data science, engineering, design, and mobile technology. We're starting by reinventing insurance, by rethinking the technologies that enable it, but our true goal is to build a platform that rewards people for driving well — creating safer roads with fewer accidents in the process.
Backed by impressive funding, we're poised to re-engineer a trillion-dollar category, and that’s just the beginning. We’re using rich customer insights, advanced technology and data science to build our cloud-native InsurTech solution, and other things we haven’t even dreamt up yet. We're out to change behavior and promote mindful living at a societal level. But the key to us being successful in our mission isn’t just about nailing the technology—it’s about hiring the talented people who can help us make a quantifiable impact in the world. We’re growing our world-class team.
And that’s where you come in.
Are you a Product Designer who is an innovative as well as a strategic thinker? Do you aim to connect consumers with brands through beautiful interfaces? Do you have a human-centered design approach and apply it throughout your work? Can you validate your design decisions in order to deliver measurable business results? Would you like to design outstanding experiences for a new challenger brand at mission-driven tech company?
We are looking for a self-motivated Product Designer to join our Customer Experience (CX) Team to help build an experience and brand that is likely to gain a lot of national and global attention. You will be partnering closely with other Designers, Researchers, Product Owners, Engineers, and Content Strategists to ensure the brand is brought to life in a captivating and cohesive way across all platforms. This role reports into the Product Design Director.
- You’d be a good fit for our team if you have:
- A portfolio that showcases delightful and functional UI design, data visualization, and interactions through attention to details (like interactions and micro animations) as well as a grasp on the bigger picture (interaction models, wireframes, and content mapping)
- Interactive prototypes as a consistent part of your workflow—because you believe it helps tell the story and sell ideas
- A human-centered design approach with the ability to map rational in design decisions back to your audience and backed by business goals to prove it
- Expertise in translating requirements into designs through native app and mobile design experience
- Cross-disciplinary collaboration experience, shown through your expert communication skills
- A track record as a brand evangelist in a startup environment or mission-driven organization proven by your experience partnering with Marketing teams
- A solid understanding of design methods and activities including design sprints, rapid prototyping, cross-disciplinary sketch sessions, concept testing and workshop facilitation
- Experience in incorporating inclusive design and accessibility into design-system-driven work
- A habit of staying on top of the latest technology trends, industry design standards and new approaches in design, plus sharing it with your colleagues
Within 30 days you will:
- Go through an onboarding process that is designed to give you detailed insights into our origin, approach, mission and goals–the more context, the better!
- Learn about the HiRoad brand and how we put customers at the forefront of the product by trying to change behavior to help people stay safe on the road
- Be immersed into our Customer Experience (CX) Team and learn how each of the disciplines (Product Design, Service Design, Content Strategy and Research) work together with our cross-disciplinary partners to contribute to our business objectives and behavior change
- Contribute your design expertise to upcoming projects, shadow design projects in motion and participate in design activities (concept, brainstorms, user testing, production)
- Learn about how we use our design tools (Sketch Libraries, Zeplin, Abstract, InVision, JIRA) and how we bring new tools/systems into our workflow (FramerX)
- Get an overview of the state of our design system see how we’re approaching designing for accessibility
- Participate in our team meetings and company updates
- Start ongoing 1:1s with Product Design Director and cross-functional partners
In 90 days you will:
- Work within the Product Design team to conceptualize and build engaging experiences from concept, or as an iteration, to life on our channels (mobile app, responsive web, email and beyond)
- Design components and patterns that improve our overall quality of design, typography, color usage, layout and animation in our digital products
- Practice user-centered design to ensure ideas are accessible and meet customer needs
- Collaborate closely with Product Owners, Engineering, and Content teams to design solutions are understood and executed correctly across user touchpoints
- Work closely with front-end Engineers to ensure design solutions have proper specs and production documentation necessary to build them
- Contribute to our design system by creating variable patterns and components and documenting guidelines
- Inspire the team by identifying and reporting best-in-class consumer interfaces and industry trends
Within 6 months you will:
- Have participated in all phases of the product development lifecycle, including product ideation and definition, user research, design, UAT, post-launch evaluation and stakeholder feedback
- Be responsible for building experiences that will create a strong, positive and emotional connection between customers and our new brand
- Validate your designs through A/B testing, usability testing, co-creation and user research
- Be responsible for refining the design in our products by finding opportunities to add subtle details such as animations, to extend the HiRoad brand in the digital world
- Analyze what our competitors are doing and opportunities for us to tackle
- Contribute to our strong design culture by identifying new industry tools, process improvements and new techniques
- Identify areas to improve velocity and efficiency while striving for highest-quality-output, for the product/design/eng process
Requirements & Qualifications:
- 5+ years experience as a designer in a product driven environment
- Ability to rapidly prototype as part of your workflow
- Ability to showcase a solid understanding of insights on user behavior and a human-centered design approach
- Software: Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Sketch Libraries, Zeplin, Abstract, InVision, JIRA, GSuite, Slack
- Nice to haves: Experience with data visualizations, gamification systems, telematics or launching a brand in a mature category
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
What we need:
- This role is for an onsite Product Designer in San Francisco. If this sounds like a good fit to you, please submit a resume, portfolio and a brief cover letter telling us why.
- Salary: We invest in first-rate people and pay top-of-market salaries for most positions, factoring in experience and talent. We are unable to offer equity.
- Benefits: Full medical, wellness reimbursement, four weeks of PTO +6 weeks of parental leave (12 weeks for parents who give birth) and great work-life balance. Plus on-site shower and bike stalls, and panoramic views of San Francisco. Location near Montgomery BART station in the financial district.
- Location: San Francisco, CA
All are welcome at Blue Owl. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and looks for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
About Blue Owl
WE ARE BLUE OWL. With a world class team of thinkers and doers, Blue Owl is poised to rethink and reengineer the insurance industry from the ground up. Smart on your side.