Senior Android Engineer
Blue Owl, San Francisco, CA
SAVING LIVES AND LIVELIHOODS.
- Architecture is key. You are a strong believer in architecture and making sure that the code we write can easily be tested. You not only look for the solution but the best one that fits any scenario and you’re willing to take on any challenge.
- Team Player. You enjoy discussing solutions or bouncing ideas off of team members. Growing your knowledge and sharing it are something you enjoy in your work environment. You also enjoy experimenting and are enthusiastic about new tech.
- You’ve worked on an app that’s lived on Google Play for a period of time. Whether you released an app on your own or with a team, you understand what it’s like to have users and the responsibility that comes with that. You are comfortable in a source code environment backed by a distributed version control system - we use git.
- You have a complete high level understanding of major Android components. Services, Activities, Fragments are all common knowledge to you. You may not know all the lifecycle methods of an Activity, but you can easily explain the most important ones.
- You know how to test. You know your code may not be perfect but you have experience writing unit tests to help build confidence that what you write is stable. You also can describe what kind of automated tests can be used and how to apply them to complex components.
- Threading and concurrency in Java/Kotlin and Android are clear to you. You can clearly explain asynchronous options and understand how they run under the hood, able to choose the best option given the task. Race conditions fear your understanding.
- Experience refactoring Java to Kotlin
- 5+ years of Android development strongly preferred
- Experience creating custom views (e.g. you implemented on Draw, extended a View object, etc.)In-depth knowledge of at least one of these platforms/frameworks: Google Maps, Location, Work Manager, Realm, Navigation Component
- Knowledge of the Android SDK performance tools and optimization techniques
- Aware of performance limitations of battery life, CPU and memory availability to implement robust and efficient solutions for variety of Android manufacturers
- Familiar with the changes happening with the Android rele
- Salary: We pay competitive salaries factoring in experience, skill set, and location. We do not offer equity.
- We provide a wide-selection of health and welfare benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and supplemental income plans. We also offer a 401(k) Plan with a company match.
- Wellness and Time Off: We provide Headspace subscriptions, a wellness allowance, and generous time off including four weeks of PTO in the first year of employment with additional time granted upon hire. New parents may also take eight weeks of fully paid parental leave (plus four weeks for parents who give birth) which may be taken within one year after the birth and/or the adoption of a child.
- Professional learning and growth: We provide a generous allowance each year for professional learning, continuing education, and career development.
- Location: May work from anywhere in the US, but will need to be actively available during core meeting hours from 9:00AM - 3:00PM pacific time to collaborate with team members across all time zones.
- Some travel may be required after the San Francisco office re-opens.
- Candidates based in the SF Bay Area will be able to commute to the SF office for in-person meetings and other gatherings. Frequency TBD.
About Blue Owl
WE ARE BLUE OWL. With a world class team of thinkers and doers, Blue Owl is poised to rethink and reengineer the insurance industry from the ground up. Smart on your side.
Want to learn more about Blue Owl? Visit Blue Owl's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.