As Product Manager, you’ll oversee website builds and products from conception to launch, ensuring that our client’s goals are met within the boundaries of budgets and technical constraints. Working closely with our development and design teams, you’ll identify requirements, create sprint plans, write acceptance criteria, and test deliverables for Blue State's portfolio of clients, which include progressive organizations, advocacy groups, campaigns, and global brands.
Blue State employs a mix of veterans of presidential campaigns, agencies, nonprofits, and the tech world — at the top of their game and really nice people to boot. We want our work to matter, are passionate about technology, and aim to continually improve the work we do.
You would be a part of our Web & Product Development team, which includes product managers, developers, and QA engineers.
- Write and maintain requirements and acceptance criteria, ensuring that all functionality, user flows, and edge cases are understood by the project team and client stakeholders.
- Scope new client product engagements, not only estimating anticipated product management time, but ensuring that all team members and stakeholders are aligned what we are proposing. Support the greater Business Development and Account teams with implementation expertise and fluency in product value propositions.
- Manage agile product and website builds, owning sprint planning, feature prioritization, and backlog grooming. Use project management tools such as Jira to track progress and communicate status.
- Be the client-facing expert on product functionality, presenting recommendations, answering questions, and inspiring decisions.
- Communicate the impact of complex business, product, and technical requirements to both engineers and non-technical stakeholders
In some instances, conduct interviews, surveys, tests, and market research to better understand users, stakeholders, and competition and inform product requirements.
- Manage UAT and QA processes, ensuring that issues are reported and prioritized correctly and conducting tests yourself as needed. Use development tools like Chrome’s Web Inspector to clarify defects for developers and augment bug reports with necessary context.
- Evaluate all proposed features against the product scope. Provide creative recommendations based on your technical expertise when features don’t fit in the budget. Make the tough calls when a sprint plan is over budget.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of general documentation and tool kits within the product management practice.
- Love your projects and fulfill tasks outside of your role to ensure their success. Sweat the details.
- Experience leading products from conception to launch at an agency or software company.
- Experience writing product requirements and maintaining product roadmaps.
- Knowledge of software development methodologies such as Scrum.
- Understanding of web development fundamentals, such as the domains of front-end and back-end development and the importance of maintainability, performance, accessibility, and SEO. Computer science training or web development experience strongly recommended.
- Strong user experience instincts.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and an ability to interact with members of technology and design teams, business stakeholders, and project leadership.
- Enthusiasm and passion for progressive advocacy and community-building.
- Empathy, positivity, respect, and the ability to be a role model at Blue State.
Blue State is a purpose-driven creative and tech agency. We transform how brands and causes engage their most important people. From Google to UNICEF, from Obama to MIT, from Tate Modern to Ford Motor Company, Blue State helps grow communities, build platforms, and transform organizations for the digital age. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP Digital and has more than 250 employees in six offices around the world.
About Blue State Digital
We got our start on the campaign trail, pioneering the use of digital to open up the democratic process. But people don’t just vote on Election Day—they vote every day with their wallets, with their time, with their clicks and posts and tweets. By reimagining organizations’ relationships with their most important supporters and customers, we help our clients transform their businesses and scale their impact. For us, this isn’t just work. The campaigns we create, insights we unravel, the platforms we build—it’s all about real impact for real people. To bridge differences and inspire advocates. To redefine how business is done. To defend civil and human rights. To challenge ourselves and our partners to put people first.