We're looking for a Tech Lead to join our Web and Product Development team at Blue State, an agency and technology company at the forefront of digital campaigning.
- Oversee project teams including in-house developers, contractors, and vendors. Arbitrate technical discussions and make final decisions as needed.
- Conduct architectural and code review and ensure consistency and quality across projects and teams.
- Cultivate close working relationships with the technology leads at large organizations and companies that make up Blue State’s client portfolio, such as the Sierra Club, Teach for America, UNICEF, the Obama Foundation, and the DNC.
- Work with stakeholders to refine project goals, set realistic timelines, and manage scope.
- Make platform recommendations and design technical solutions to help clients achieve their strategic objectives.
- Write and present high-level technical specifications, architecture plans, and recommendations.
- Guide implementation of new sites and products, ensuring the on-time and on-budget delivery of work that is accurate to the requirements.
- Mentor developers and junior tech leads, reviewing their work as needed.
- Contribute to our in-house tools, such as build and deployment scripts and our Drupal starter kit.
- Contribute to scoping and estimating discussions, evaluating proposed features and working with business development teams as needed.
- Find creative but practical solutions to novel problems, whether related to technology, features, or process.
Blue State employs a mix of veterans of presidential campaigns, agencies, nonprofits, and the tech world — at the top of their game and really nice people to boot. We want our work to matter, are passionate about technology, and aim to continually improve the work we do.
The Web and Product Development team consists of developers, tech leads, product managers, and QA engineers. Employees collaborate very closely from our offices and, as needed, remote locations.
Top Things We’re Looking For
- Proven track record of building scalable, maintainable, and extensible websites and products.
- Strong knowledge of Drupal (including Drupal 8), its ecosystem, and how it can be extended to fulfill complex requirements.
- Working knowledge of modern deployment and build tools and practices (i.e. devops).
- Familiarity with CDNs, cloud hosting providers such as AWS, and other web server technologies.
- Some experience with application frameworks such as Laravel or React.
- Fluency with SQL, including data structure optimization and the ability to troubleshoot database performance issues.
- Ability to translate requests from non-technical people into asks of very technical people.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Enthusiasm and passion for progressive advocacy and community-building.
- Empathy, positivity, respect, and the ability to be a role model at Blue State.
Blue State is the purpose-driven creative and tech agency for brands and causes looking to inspire people to take action. With clients including the AARP, Google, UNICEF, JDRF, and Colgate. Blue State cultivates communities, builds platforms, and transforms how organizations engage their most important people. Led by some of the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP and has more than 150 employees across five offices.
About Blue State Digital
We got our start on the campaign trail, pioneering the use of digital to open up the democratic process. But people don’t just vote on Election Day—they vote every day with their wallets, with their time, with their clicks and posts and tweets. By reimagining organizations’ relationships with their most important supporters and customers, we help our clients transform their businesses and scale their impact. For us, this isn’t just work. The campaigns we create, insights we unravel, the platforms we build—it’s all about real impact for real people. To bridge differences and inspire advocates. To redefine how business is done. To defend civil and human rights. To challenge ourselves and our partners to put people first.
Want to learn more about Blue State Digital? Visit Blue State Digital's website.
Jobs You May Like
First Look Media
Director, Business & Legal Affairs
First Look Media, New York, NY