Execute game-changing advertising strategies that tie engagement to the bottom line. As a Media Strategist, you'll manage the execution of digital advertising campaigns across clients ranging from leading nonprofits to political and advocacy groups to major brands (and everything in between).
This may be the right role for you if you’re someone who is equally strategic, creative, and analytical. Switching seamlessly from a client presentation, to writing an insightful analysis of campaign performance, and rolling up your sleeves to launch new creative are no big deal for you. You’re used to spending most of your day speaking in acronyms — terms like DSP, CPA, IVT, ROAS, and AVOC are major parts of your vocabulary — and you know how to explain them to clients and teammates.
You will use your depth of paid media experience to inform your work but also tap into your digital curiosity and passion for innovation to bring new ideas and thinking to the team.
In this role, you’ll:
- Build, manage, and optimize media campaigns across multiple platforms, primarily using Facebook Business Manager, Google and Bing Ads, Google Campaign Manager 360, and the Verizon Media DSP. (Other digital channel expertise is a plus.)
- Translate clients’ strategic visions into media objectives and KPIs to accomplish a wide range of client objectives including direct response (lead gen and fundraising), awareness, persuasion, and advocacy.
- Analyze ongoing and historical performance data to identify opportunities for improvement, make strategic recommendations, and generate reporting and insights to drive optimization.
- Have a strong POV on measurement, attribution, and conversion tracking, and apply that knowledge to strategic recommendations and ongoing campaign management.
- Participate in (and sometimes lead) client-facing interactions — you’ll be the subject-matter expert for the platforms you manager
- Work collaboratively with other internal or external teams, including media planners, strategists, account directors, designers, and analysts, to produce campaigns, creative ideas, audience and target recommendations, and experimental designs.
- Keep up to date with the latest digital media trends by building and stewarding relationships with media partners, and engaging in media R&D projects
As part of the Paid Media team, you’ll work closely with a cross-disciplinary group of Blue State employees who are passionate, geeky, and care about their clients and causes. Blue State fosters an environment where everyone has an opportunity to shape new approaches, grow and learn from their colleagues, and take advantage of a personal development fund to stretch their skills even further. You’ll have the opportunity to work with some of the most inspiring charities, ambitious brands, and passionate advocacy and social change campaigns.
Once Blue State offices reopen, on-site presence is strongly preferred at a minimum of two days a week. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Top things we’re looking for
- 2-4 years experience in a hands-on paid media buying role using a mix of digital channels (Social, Search, Display, Video, Native, OOH, etc) - with preference to experience in executing, managing, and reporting on media campaigns with a mix of objectives/goals.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple clients and projects on time, within budget, and meet performance goals.
- High proficiency with digital advertising platforms — you ultimately want to become a master of paid social, paid search, and/or programmatic trading — as well as Google Analytics and other measurement platforms
- Exceptional attention to detail, especially with regards to campaign setup and trafficking, QA, and reporting.
- Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and scrappiness required.
- A shared passion and curiosity for delivering change. This includes comfort with ambiguity, a restlessness that resists the status quo, and a commitment to quality that ensures we’re always making progress.
- A testing evangelist - no result is ever a problem as long as we can learn and improve in future.
- Humble in victory, constructive in defeat. We champion and expect empathy, communication, collaboration, and respect.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
The minimum starting salary for this position is $68,250; compensation is otherwise commensurate with experience.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organizations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first, and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland, and Chicago.
About Blue State Digital
We got our start on the campaign trail, pioneering the use of digital to open up the democratic process. But people don’t just vote on Election Day—they vote every day with their wallets, with their time, with their clicks and posts and tweets. By reimagining organizations’ relationships with their most important supporters and customers, we help our clients transform their businesses and scale their impact. For us, this isn’t just work. The campaigns we create, insights we unravel, the platforms we build—it’s all about real impact for real people. To bridge differences and inspire advocates. To redefine how business is done. To defend civil and human rights. To challenge ourselves and our partners to put people first.
Want to learn more about Blue State Digital? Visit Blue State Digital's website.
See jobs at Bluecore