Vice President, Business Development, Oncology
Bluebird Bio, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
integrated product platforms with broad therapeutic potential
bluebird bio is seeking a Sr. Director or Vice President, Business Development to play a leadership role in developing and executing our business strategy and expanding our growth/opportunities including alliances, partnerships, and other collaborations. Reporting to the VP, Oncology Corporate Development and Strategy, in this role, you will lead business development efforts for our Oncology franchise, and be responsible for sourcing, evaluating, structuring and negotiating deals for the company, and be a core team member across major corporate development and strategy activities. The successful candidate will play an integral role in building an enduring oncology cell therapy leader with a relentless focus on patient impact.
About the role:
- Lead business development for our Oncology franchise.
- Partner closely with key stakeholders within Oncology and R&D on key strategic goals and to drive the enabling business development activities.
- Play an integral role in developing and operationalizing bluebird’s oncology strategy, with an optimized portfolio and capabilities.
- Ensure that bluebird builds enduring leadership in the field by keeping its “finger on the pulse” across emerging, transformational technologies and assets.
- Lead the search and evaluation, identification, diligence, and development of acquisition, license, and partnership opportunities.
- Structure, negotiate and close significant and complex deals in line with company’s business development objectives.
- Drive appropriate financial analysis to enable evaluation of opportunities.
- Ensure that the company is well represented in deal situations.
- Lead/co-lead out-license/partnership discussions.
- Lead/co-lead efforts to in-license additional programs.
- Foster internal communication and collaboration for successful partnerships.
- Lead cross-functional project and deal teams.
- Build and maintain strong responsibilities with academic and industry leaders.
- JD/PhD/MD/MBA with 10+ years of relevant industry experience in biotech/pharma, and 5+ years in business development leadership roles.
- A background in science or medicine is preferred. Must have an aptitude for problem-solving and able to quickly understand new science and technology.
- Demonstrated track record of a wide range of executed transactions.
- Experience in negotiating and closing a variety of business agreements including M&A transactions, joint ventures, licensing agreements, co-promotions, strategic alliances and other types of corporate collaborations.
- Experience in the Oncology and/or Immunology space is a plus.
- Ensures structure and clarity of focus aligned with the Oncology strategy.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to evaluate deal alternatives.
- Strong leadership qualities including strategic thinking, innovation, mentoring, scaling, collaboration, stakeholder management, etc.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams to build strong working relationships with colleagues and to ensure efficient and effective achievement of key deliverables.
- Robust understanding of the full drug development and global regulatory processes, lifecycle management and commercialization of therapeutics.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of market and competitive environment including deal activity and potential opportunities.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Embraces our core values: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself
About Bluebird Bio
About us We are leading the gene therapy revolution. Our integrated product platforms encompass gene therapy, cancer immunotherapy and gene editing – providing us with the potential to treat, and hopefully cure, a broad range of serious diseases. We have a lot of energy, and it’s not just the abundance of coffee that keeps us going. Find out what sparks our excitement and inspires us every day.
Want to learn more about Bluebird Bio? Visit Bluebird Bio's website.
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers.