Director, Program & Portfolio Management, Oncology
Bluebird Bio, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
integrated product platforms with broad therapeutic potential
Are you looking for something more than just a job? Well, good news – we’re looking for someone who is more than just an employee! At bluebird bio, we push ourselves every day to deliver un-incremental results, join us at the heart of it all as a member of the Program and Portfolio Management (PPM) team. The PPM team harnesses bluebird’s unique Individual Collectivism to drive programs forward through collaborative leadership, providing clarity, direction and a shared sense of purpose to achieve amazing results for patients. There are no boring days at bluebird, so our ideal team member is one who is excited by the opportunity to be a leader on cross-functional teams solving complex science and business challenges, and who thrives in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
Reporting to the VP, Program & Portfolio, the successful candidate will drive the creation of strategic & operational plans for an internal early-stage product to define both the path to IND as well as the long-term development. The ultimate goal is to ensure that we are delivering a game-changing product as quickly and safely as possible to cancer patients who desperately need and deserve a win.
About the Role:
- Establish strong partnership with the Program Lead to shape the overall strategy, goal setting & successful execution of an early-stage product to ensure successful transition from research to IND and beyond
- Drive the creation of integrated cross-functional program plans positioned to bring the product strategy to life. This includes timelines, budgets & opportunity definition to inform investment decisions on the basis of the individual product and in context of the broader portfolio.
- Facilitate cross-functional Program Team meetings using meeting management best practices to drive cross-functional communication, timely and effective decision making, and successful execution of program objectives
- Develop & deliver impactful presentations that effectively distill complex issues to the critical points, and lead to increased understanding and optimized strategic planning & decision-making
- Proactively identify risks, gaps, and resource bottlenecks, and work with impacted teams and function leadership to develop and implement mitigation plans
- Partner with Finance and functional leads to manage the program budget and ensure financial and resource implications of decisions, risks, and opportunities are fully understood to better inform prioritization and decision making
- Collaborate with Oncology Franchise & Portfolio Management in development of company- and franchise-level goals, Long Range Planning assumptions, portfolio level reports, program status updates and analyses to support business processes & strategic discussions
- Proactively seek out opportunities for organizational improvement (e.g. team structure, processes, communication, etc.)
- Contribute to PPM department initiatives as needed to support the effective scaling of Program & Portfolio capabilities
- 8+ years overall experience in drug development with at least 3 years of program management experience in the biopharmaceutical industry; Previous experience delivering against IND filings & early-clinical development is a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate others, influence without authority, and negotiate conflict situations
- Highly collaborative team player who fosters open communication and facilitates mutual understanding and cooperation between all stakeholders
- Able to manage scientifically and operationally complex issues
- Able to balance the strategic needs of the work with tactical day-to-day activities
- A passion for addressing the critical unmet medical needs of patients
- Willingness to embrace and demonstrate the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
About Bluebird Bio
About us We are leading the gene therapy revolution. Our integrated product platforms encompass gene therapy, cancer immunotherapy and gene editing – providing us with the potential to treat, and hopefully cure, a broad range of serious diseases. We have a lot of energy, and it’s not just the abundance of coffee that keeps us going. Find out what sparks our excitement and inspires us every day.