Sr. Director, Cellular Immunology
Bluebird Bio, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
integrated product platforms with broad therapeutic potential
ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
The Oncology Research flock is all about kicking cancer’s ass! Whether it’s making sure we provide best-in-class CAR-T therapy, transforming the field of immuno-oncology, or continuing to find ways to iterate and improve our therapies, we are driven by a personal and passionate commitment to changing the lives of patients. Come work with a tenacious group of birds that loves rising to the challenge as much as we love sharing data, cheering each other on, and championing our science!
HOW YOU’LL FLY
As the Head of Cellular Immunology bird reporting to the SVP Oncology Research, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by refining and implementing bluebird bio’s vision and program expansion of novel cellular immunotherapy products. The scope of this initiative is expansive and will encompass cellular and tumor immunology to enable a pipeline of innovative cell-based oncology products. Our goal is to engineer cells of the immune system using our extensive synthetic biology platforms to generate therapeutic cells with potent anti-tumor properties. Candidates will provide a sophisticated level of coordination with bluebird’s core functions by leading a multi-disciplinary oncology research team.
- This person will lead and continue to build upon a gifted team of scientific and technical professionals to engineer immune cells with properties that mediate anti-cancer activity with the goal of bringing these transformative cell therapy products to patients in need
- Leverage a deep understanding of cellular immunology to drive the functional characterization of engineered T cell products toward and through critical program stage-gates
- Identify and catalyze the innovation of new technologies to improve the therapeutic potential of gene-modified hematopoietic cells for cellular immunotherapy
- Contribute with a strong voice to help define and drive the strategic direction of research within the company’s oncology business unit
- Establish and leverage robust cross-functional relationships with key stakeholders across and beyond research in support of program goals
- Identify internal and external research partnerships and develop the science strategy for these collaborations
- Contribute across all stages of research and development, from target identification through development stages and filings, to translational studies and correlative analysis on clinical samples to inform next-generation clinical opportunities
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You’re the bird we’re looking for if you:
- PhD or MD in cancer biology or immunology with at least 12 years of post-doctoral experience in the field of cellular immunology and at least 8+ years of management experience at a biotech company
- Should be able to convert a thorough understanding of the T cell biology to successful cellular therapy product concepts for treating hematologic and solid tumors
- Must have detailed knowledge of the structure/function of tumor targeting receptors such as T cell receptors (TCR) and chimeric antigen receptors (CAR) and maintain familiarity with current literature.
- Must have a demonstrated track record of contributing to the progression of early research and development to clinical proof of concept in the field of immunology/immunotherapy
- Individual must be a builder with capability to lead and advocate for highly functioning teams, especially within a highly matrixed environment
- Demonstrate strong leadership, personal accountability and interpersonal skills, and strong mentoring skills.
- Should have a strong track record of building a pipeline of early stage assets with demonstrated capability for driving programs through to IND filings
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.
About Bluebird Bio
About us We are leading the gene therapy revolution. Our integrated product platforms encompass gene therapy, cancer immunotherapy and gene editing – providing us with the potential to treat, and hopefully cure, a broad range of serious diseases. We have a lot of energy, and it’s not just the abundance of coffee that keeps us going. Find out what sparks our excitement and inspires us every day.
Want to learn more about Bluebird Bio? Visit Bluebird Bio's website.
Help the world share their story