Scientist II, Oncology Research (Tumor Immunology)
Bluebird Bio, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
integrated product platforms with broad therapeutic potential
ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
The Oncology Research flock is all about kicking cancer’s ass! Whether it’s making sure we provide best-in-class T cell therapies, transforming the field of immuno-oncology, or continuing to find ways to iterate and improve, we are driven by a personal and passionate commitment to changing the lives of patients. Our Tumor Immunology group is focused on fully realizing the potential of synthetic biology to unlock the complexities of the tumor microenvironment. Come work with a tenacious group of birds that loves rising to the challenge as much as we love sharing data, cheering each other on, and championing our science!
HOW YOU’LL FLY
Our goal is to use our extensive synthetic biology platforms to generate therapeutic immune cells with potent anti-tumor properties. As a Scientist on our Tumor Immunology team, you will play a key role in developing and optimizing early product concepts by:
• Designing and executing studies that provide the scientific basis for making data-driven decisions, e.g., selection of top lentiviral constructs based on vector integration, transgene expression, and function.
• Collaborating productively and creatively with other scientists to develop and optimize novel CAR-T and TCR-T product concepts.
• Identifying creative combinations to overcome tumor microenvironment suppression of CAR-T cell efficacy.
• Analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data at working groups and departmental seminars, with opportunities to present work at national conferences.
• Contributing to new technology assessment and implementation.
• Representing the Oncology Research team in a variety of cross-functional forums to provide feedback on scientific strategy, experimental priorities, and timelines.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
• PhD in immunology, molecular biology, cancer biology, or related discipline with 2+ years’ post-doctoral experience (cancer immunology experience a plus).
• Significant expertise in molecular cloning, including an understanding of codon optimization, sequence validation, and troubleshooting (experience with Geneious or similar sequence analysis software platform required).
• Significant experience with lentiviral vectors, including optimization for multiple aspects of vector performance (titer, integration, transgene expression, function).
• Expertise in mammalian cell culture, including experience propagating human immune cells.
• Experience with synthetic biology and aspects of protein design a strong plus.
• Experience with standard immunological assays (flow cytometry, MSD/Luminex, cytolysis).
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.
About Bluebird Bio
About us We are leading the gene therapy revolution. Our integrated product platforms encompass gene therapy, cancer immunotherapy and gene editing – providing us with the potential to treat, and hopefully cure, a broad range of serious diseases. We have a lot of energy, and it’s not just the abundance of coffee that keeps us going. Find out what sparks our excitement and inspires us every day.
Want to learn more about Bluebird Bio? Visit Bluebird Bio's website.
Using digital technology to transform the physical world