- Provide mass properties engineering in accordance with industry standards and Society of Allied Weight Engineers (SAWE) best practices. Analyze mass properties impacts of internal and external modifications, and impacts to systems and subsystems. Analyze and account for changes in mass properties throughout the program life-cycle.
- Assess and improve upon current conceptual design weights predictions algorithms. Validate and document these methods against existing aircraft. Integrate these tools into an existing multidisciplinary optimization (MDO) code.
- Model and calculate mass properties data to support all phases of project development. Translate customer requirements into mass models for development of mission profiles. Analyze mission configurations using 2D drawings and 3D CAD.
- Generate mass properties distributions for modifications and integrate with OEM data for input to structural loads models. Manage subcontractor efforts related to mass properties including vendor weight control. Lead weight reduction tasks.
- Articulate mass properties requirements, risks, opportunities, and status at formal design reviews to both internal and external customers.
- Generate FAA mass properties documentation meeting requirements of airworthiness certification including weight and balance manuals, supplements, and equipment lists.
- Perform weight and balance measurements of components and final products. Coordinate mass properties requirements with multi-disciplinary teams including maintenance, production, logistics support, flight test, flight operations and other disciplines.
Education, Experience, and Skills
- Requires a BS in Related Field
- 5+ Years of Related Experience
- Familiarity with SAWE and American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Recommended Practices and Standards, Automated Weight and Balance System (AWBS) and FAA airworthiness regulations.
- Skill in programming with a scripting language such as Matlab or Python
- Knowledge and experience in aircraft operations, familiarity with Microsoft Office, and 3D CAD tools
- Familiarity with aerospace system design and integration, manufacture, and maintainability, including familiarity with best practices in mechanical, electrical, and systems design.
- Must be a problem solver capable of working alone or with a technical team in a fast-paced environment.
About Boom Supersonic
ABOUT BOOM At Boom, our mission is to remove the barriers to experiencing people, cultures, natural beauty, and opportunities—everything Earth has to offer. From 1903 to 1976, the speed of passenger aviation increased relentlessly from 7 mph to Mach 2.0. Then something broke. Over the last 40 years, not only have we failed to generate further speed increases, we’ve lost supersonic capability. This step backwards means it takes longer than it should to arrive at your destination—time spent in a metal tube instead of being there. All too often, the outcome is even worse—people stay home, either because they can’t afford the time or because they don’t consider making the trip in the first place. Supersonic flight removes a critical barrier to new business relationships, new cultural experiences, and more time with loved ones. To achieve our mission, we have built a driven, world-class team to produce the world’s first commercially viable supersonic aircraft.
Want to learn more about Boom Supersonic? Visit Boom Supersonic's website.
Jobs You May Like
Forward Deployed Software Engineer, New Grad - U.S. Government
Palantir Technologies, Washington, D.C.