Senior Manager, Food Safety and Quality Assurance
Boxed, NYC, NY
The products you love in bulk, delivered to your door.
About the Company:
Boxed is the easiest and modern way to shop for bulk goods online. We deliver customers their favorite household, personal care and pantry goods to their home or office.
Our office is a dynamic, collaborative family of individuals. A technology company at our core, we are a vibrant group of engineers, designers, marketers and operations specialists with a passion for driving superior value and experience to our customers.
Our vision for the Senior Manager of Quality Assurance and Safety is to establish a world-class private brand uncompromisingly focused on quality and safety. The successful candidate must be a fast learner and willing to become an expert across many diverse product categories from toilet paper and garbage bags to chia seeds and olive oils, to nutritional supplements and batteries.
The successful candidate will manage and execute the organization of food (and non-food) safety and quality assurance policies and programs, to establish performance standards, procedures and audit controls in order to meet business requirements, as well as identify and implement process improvements to increase the efficiency, effectiveness and quality of company operations.
- Participate in supplier selection process for suppliers of food and non-food CPG items
- Gather, organize and manage on-boarding and product development documentation from suppliers including certificates of analysis, food safety and quality audits, product specifications, nutritional information, test reports, certifications and claim substantiation materials
- Develop product specifications and ensure that appropriate tolerances are incorporated into product specifications
- Ensure that all product labels are legally compliant for ingredient listing statements, nutritional content, marketing terminology and provides recommendations for compliance options
- Identify and engage companies to perform services (for example, laboratory, consumer testing, sensory resources)
- Coordinate and review laboratory test reports and QA benchmarking to ensure samples and finished goods meet safety and quality requirements
- Attend prototype runs; first commercial runs and visit supplier facilities when necessary
- Monitor customer feedback and take action where needed to address issues
- Continuously identify and communicate improvement opportunities
- Leverage technology to manage compliance processes
- Conduct regulatory research and provide support to ensure products meet regulatory requirements, including implementation of new label regulatory requirements
- Partners with regulatory agencies, product suppliers, internal resources and regulatory industry professionals to stay current on regulatory issues with food and non-food products
- Ensure Prop 65 compliance for private label products sold in California
- Develop and keep up to date a Master Supplier database that includes factory audits, certifications (familiarity with GFSI and CGMP standards is required), MSDS sheets, and includes vendor physical information and product specific data capable of generating unique lists for market queries e.g.: kosher, gluten-free products, allergen-specific lists.
- Bachelor’s degree in food science, microbiology, public health, or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience managing Food Safety and Quality in a retail or manufacturing environment (labeling experience is required).
- At least 2 years of experience with managing compliance documents in a consumer goods environment
- Demonstrated experience creating sustainable processes.
- Comprehensive knowledge of regulatory labeling requirements for FDA and USDA and nutrition labeling.
- Ability to travel extensively domestically and internationally.
- Function in a fast-paced start-up environment.
Benefits & Perks
- Working with smart, positive people
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Unlimited vacation
- Full healthcare benefits
Boxed was founded in 2013 by an experienced group of tech pioneers with a simple idea: make shopping for bulk easy, convenient and fun, so you can focus on the things you really love.
Want to learn more about Boxed? Visit https://www.boxed.com
Jobs You May Like
Forward Deployed Software Engineer
Palantir Technologies, Ottawa, Canada
Product Owner (m/f)
Airbnb, San Francisco, California
Senior Graphic Designer
Bonobos, New York, NY
Squarespace, New York, NY
Sales Development, Sports Illustrated Play
Time Inc., Saratoga Springs, NY