Boxed, New York City, NY
Boxed focuses on its customers, its technology, and its team.
About the company
Boxed is an easy and modern way to shop for bulk goods. As a mobile-first company, customers can shop directly from Boxed’s app on their iOS or Android device, or online at www.boxed.com. With Boxed, customers can have their household, personal care, and pantry favorites delivered conveniently to their home or office.
The Boxed DevOps team values an always-learning approach to technology. We want people who already know they don’t know it all and who are willing to work closely and honestly with team members to collectively and objectively find the best solutions to problems. Technological humility - the desire to build what’s correct over being the person who’s correct - is a trait we value highly.
As a Boxed DevOps Engineer, you’ll be helping to scale out and improve our large and growing GCP infrastructure and helping us manage our applications running in Docker and Kubernetes. Most of the software we run is Node.js, with a heavy reliance on MongoDB. Python, Go, and Java, which are also utilized for various services, as are several other data stores, including Redis, Postgres, Snowflake, and Elasticsearch.
- Work collaboratively with the team to build out and improve our large and growing GCP infrastructure
- Improve and optimize our cloud infrastructure with Terraform
- Help automate and streamline our operations
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in our dev, staging and production environments
- Support Software Engineers with building, testing, and deploying their applications
- Be on an on-call rotation with the rest of the Engineering team
- Be a critical part of not just the technology team but to the company as an excellent problem solver.
- Good programming skills
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with GCP components & pitfalls (AWS or Azure also acceptable)
- Experience with an IaaC tool (Terraform)
- Experience with a CI/CD tool such as Jenkins
- Experience writing Dockerfiles for apps in multiple languages
- Experience writing scripts to automate repetitive tasks
- Disaster recovery experience, especially if self-inflicted
- Experience with MongoDB performance analysis, debugging, and/or data modelling
- Familiarity with cloud networking - Firewalls, NAT, VPN, network peering
- Experience running Node.js apps under load
- Ability to debug system problems like running out of memory, inodes, or ephemeral ports
- Knowledge of distributed systems (formal theory or learned firsthand)
- Experience using a Log Aggregation Platform.
Benefits & Perks:
- Working with smart, positive people
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Unlimited vacation
- Full healthcare benefits.
OUR package for you!
Alongside our customer focus and technology DNA, we pride ourselves on our employee centric mentality. NBC Nightly News called our CEO, Chieh Huang, “America’s Dream Boss” for our generous benefits. Our team enjoys competitive compensation plus stock options, flexible parental leave, unlimited paid time off, weekly company-wide events, and lots of other perks -- just some of the reasons we made Crain’s list of best places to work in NYC.
We’d love to meet you, so apply today!
Boxed was founded in 2013 by an experienced group of tech pioneers with a simple idea—make shopping for bulk easy, convenient, and fun. Today, Boxed is a late stage startup delivering a first class e-commerce experience for everyday essentials across the country. Boxed values tech and innovation is at the heart of all it's employees do and the customer at the core of they are. Boxed is passionate to create a delightful and personalized online shopping experience for each and every customer.
Want to learn more about Boxed? Visit Boxed's website.
Help the world share their story