Senior Software Engineer
Boxed, New York, NY or Remote
Boxed focuses on its customers, its technology, and its team.
All about these Boxed Boxes!
Boxed was launched in our CEO’s garage in 2013 by our four founders; an eclectic group of experienced tech pioneers. They had a simple idea: to make shopping for bulk-sized products easy, convenient and fun. Today, we deliver a first class e-commerce experience for everyday essentials across the country.
Currently, all corporate employees are working remotely from home until it is deemed safe to return to our offices by local and state health officials. We have offices located in New York City (NY) and San Mateo (CA), and three fulfillment centers in New Jersey, Nevada and Texas. Fully remote candidates will be considered for this role.
We’re a late stage start-up that places technology and innovation at the heart of all that we do. Our technology platform and automated, state-of-the-art fulfillment centers make headlines and our systems utilize machine learning, predictive analytics and other technologies to ensure a delightful B2C and B2B online shopping experience. While technology is at the core of what we do, providing a personalized, thoughtful and seamless shopping experience is at the core of who we are. We value each and every customer and every single order receives a hand-written thank you note.
Unpack your Potential at Boxed!
Boxed is made up of a vibrant and fun group of engineers, designers, marketers, sales people and operations specialists -- just to name a few! We work with passion for driving superior value and experience to our customers. Our customers choose to buy from Boxed because we save them time and money, which in turn makes their lives easier. That’s where you come in!
We are looking for talented back-end software engineers to take our in-house built e-commerce platform to the next level. The trajectory of our platform is to not only support the Boxed retail business, but also provide a full suite of e-commerce services (including storefront, marketplace, and logistics tech) to allow other companies to leverage the technology we've built over the years. As such, the team is focused on building APIs and back-end services that are easy to integrate with and provide functionality that benefits a wide-swath of the companies that elect to use our platform. As part of this team, we expect software engineers to ensure that all services are built to be performant, reliable, scalable and reusable.
We value any Senior Software Engineer who can think critically and learn quickly. We often leverage open-source tools, and an API engineer should feel comfortable diving into the source code to fix bugs or understand the software when there’s a gap in documentation. We’re a bunch of engineers who enjoy balancing time to market and robustness, and are comfortable making decisions that shape the way software will be built at Boxed for years to come.
- Be a critical part of not just the technology team but to the company as an excellent problem solver
- Help transform our successful e-commerce software into a SaaS powerhouse, empowering many different businesses
- Collaborate with the product teams in cross functional squads to execute against the product roadmap
- Design and implement solutions to provide value to our customers as quickly, reliably, and correctly as possible
- Improve the performance, reliability, and scalability of our existing systems
- Think critically and solve the problems around you
- Assist in refactoring the existing monolithic codebase into smaller microservices where it makes sense
- Write clear documentation and automated tests to ensure code reliability and ease of maintenance
- Review your peers’ code to teach and learn while improving software quality
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Bootcamp equivalent
- Demonstrable results and products from 4+ years of relevant experience
- Experience writing production code in NodeJS and working with MongoDB
- Experience working with git
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with a healthy experimental attitude.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong verbal and oral communication skills – it will be necessary for you to communicate your work to the rest of the engineering team through many mediums including documentation, presentations, and small workshops
- Strong Database skills (e.g. MongoDB, Postgres, Redshift)
- Ability to work with and mentor small teams
- Experience teaching, mentoring, or captaining in any capacity
- Experience using and debugging DevOps/Networking/Infrastructure (e.g. Kubernetes, Jenkins)
Don’t meet all of our requirements? Not a problem. We’re always looking for fast learners who may have a less than standard path or the exact skillset mentioned above. Please apply anyways and show us why you’re awesome!
OUR package for you!
Alongside our customer focus and technology DNA, we pride ourselves on our employee centric mentality. NBC Nightly News called our CEO, Chieh Huang, “America’s Dream Boss” for our generous benefits. Our team enjoys competitive compensation plus stock options, flexible parental leave, unlimited paid time off, weekly company-wide events, and lots of other perks -- just some of the reasons we made Crain’s list of best places to work in NYC. We’d love to meet you, so apply today!
Boxed was founded in 2013 by an experienced group of tech pioneers with a simple idea—make shopping for bulk easy, convenient, and fun. Today, Boxed is a late stage startup delivering a first class e-commerce experience for everyday essentials across the country. Boxed values tech and innovation is at the heart of all it's employees do and the customer at the core of they are. Boxed is passionate to create a delightful and personalized online shopping experience for each and every customer.
Want to learn more about Boxed? Visit Boxed's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.