Brainly is the world’s largest online community, uniting students, parents and teachers in solving their academic problems and exchanging knowledge. Every month we are proud to be home for 350 million users. Besides delivering world class educational products we’re a technology company at heart. Engineering teams at Brainly are proud of the work they do and the impact they make on the future of education worldwide.
HOW DO WE BUILD SERVICES?
Back-end engineers enjoy all the pros and cons of distributed programming. We ship changes to production multiple times a day and our delivery pipeline makes your code ready to join thousands of already running containers in just 5 minutes. Our services land on Kubernetes that is hosted on AWS. We also leverage the power of AWS serverless like Lambdas, DynamoDB, AppSync, Cognito, just to name a few. Services communicate either via messaging or good old HTTP. Our platform is defined entirely as code (Terraform, Ansible) and we get lots of goodies out of the box - alerting, logging and telemetry to name a few. We are believers in the DevOps culture, but we still have some things to do to get there.
HOW DO WE WORK?
We also enjoy great engineering culture - we do code reviews and schedule time to write tests. We truly believe that our collaborative environment makes space for everyone to learn, improve and take our engineering to the next level. We try to give back to the community as much as we can - you can see us at various conferences, read our blog posts or even come to one of our meetups that we proudly host in our lovely office.
IS THIS OFFER FOR YOU?
We are looking for engineers who are ready to tackle complex challenges with the right tools. We don’t expect our future colleagues to have the experience with every language or tool we use at production. We write mainly in Go but, as everything in life, these can be learned and we are sure that our bootcamp will get you up to speed. We are also a team of engineers with diverse backgrounds and we are more than happy to learn from your experience too.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
The new engineer will join one of our product teams in two areas:
- Textbook Solutions team, working on the latest product from Brainly which allows students to access millions of top-quality educational solutions from thousands of textbooks across the globe. You will be working on optimization of the end-users experience (Web team) increasing the engagement and student satisfaction or will be joining the Growth team which uses the power of Brainly domains to generate traffic to Textbook solutions
- Community team which supports the overall safety, quality, and engagement of Brainly’s top users by working on a combination of internal and external tools in order to help educate users, enforce our community guidelines, and moderate reports from users.
And will be responsible for:
- Designing, developing, and maintaining code for Brainly platform to enhance the great learning experience for our users.
- Solving complex challenges such as performance, scalability, and security
- Collaborating with other software engineers to design scalable services, plan feature roll-out, and ensure high reliability and performance of your deliverables.
- Conducting code reviews, contributing high-quality documentation, and building robust test suites for your features.
WHAT WILL YOU NEED?
- 4+ years of experience writing web services in a general purpose programming language
- At least 2+ years production experience with Go
- Experience with databases / data stores
- Some experience working with public cloud provider offerings (AWS, GCP, Azure etc)
- Experience building distributed systems at scale
- Understanding of core testing principles
- Fluent English
- Leadership skills, a high level of self-organization, ability to make your own decisions
- Systematic problem-solving approach coupled with ability to brainstorm and co-create new solutions, both business and technical
Nice to have:
- Experience building microservices
- Experience working with messaging queues and/or streaming platforms
- Experience working with GraphQL
- Experience working with NoSQL databases
- Location: Kraków, Barcelona or remotely from Poland/Spain
- Salary: 15 000 - 23 000 PLN gross/monthly
- Start date: as soon as possible (however, we’re happy to wait for the right person)
- Some of our benefits - the final offer will depend on the location:
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work remotely
- Personal development budget 800$ per year + unlimited time off policy for participation in conferences and workshops and access to an online learning platform with courses from Udemy, Harvard Manage Mentor and many others
- Fully paid private health care packages for you and your family (dental care included) provided by Luxmed
- Fully paid life insurance provided by Warta
- Multisport Plus card
- Access to the Mental Health Helpline - providing virtual support of external psychologists, psychotherapists, and coaches
- AskHenry services - personal concierge services to help you to settle your everyday matters (like Ikea shopping or shoemaker visit)
- Possibility to join one of our Employee Resource Groups and initiatives (Inclusion Council, Ladies at Brainly, Brainly Cares)
- If needed, additional budget for work remote work accessories
WHAT IS BRAINLY?
Brainly is the online learning platform where over 350 million students and parents go from questioning to understanding. With their smartphones, users can snap a photo to instantly solve any problem or homework question and be matched with a Brainly product such as Community Q&A, Brainly Tutor, Math Solver or Textbook Detective.
Brainly is built to provide students, parents, experts, and teachers with a collaborative platform and tools needed to succeed in any educational environment. Based in Kraków, Poland, with U.S. headquarters in New York City, Brainly apps and websites are visited by users from over 35 countries.
Backed by Prosus, Point Nine Capital, General Catalyst, Runa Capital, Learn Capital and Kulczyk Investments. Learn more about Brainly at www.brainly.com.
By sending us your application, you agree that Brainly sp. z o.o. with its seats in Krakow, will process your data contained in the form below and in the documents you attach in to participate in recruitment. In connection with this, you have the right to withdraw your consents, the right to access to your data, the right to obtain their copy, rectify them, erase, limit their usage and also data portability right and object to their use by Brainly, as well as to lodge a complaint with the President of the UODO. If you have any questions regarding the use of information about you and exercising your rights related to this use, please contact our DPO - [email protected] If you want get to know more about how Brainly uses and process your personal data [click here].
About us WHAT IS BRAINLY? Brainly is the place to learn, for students, by students. We are the world’s largest social learning community bringing middle school and high school students together to make learning outside the classroom highly engaging, effective and rewarding. Students connect to their peers to help strengthen their skills, from math, to science, to history and beyond. Founded in 2009, Brainly is one of the most promising and fastest growing internet businesses in the EdTech space with over 80 million monthly users. Based in New York City and Kraków, Poland, Brainly is currently available in over 35 countries. Brainly has closed a $15M Series B round of funding led by the global internet and entertainment group, Naspers, to bring total funding from existing investors including General Catalyst Partners, Point Nine Capital, Runa Capital and Learn Capital to $27M.
Want to learn more about Brainly? Visit Brainly's website.
The social news and entertainment company.