Software Engineer Internship
Braintree Payments, Chicago, San Francisco
See jobs at Braintree Payments
Every time you pay for an Uber ride or book on Airbnb, you’re using our product. Braintree lets you move money from one place to another safely and securely. It sounds complex (and it is), but we make it so simple, you wouldn't know we were there.
At Braintree, opportunities to shine happen daily. We value what makes you different, and encourage you to act on your ideas -- no matter how pie-in-the-sky. You bring skills and a customer-first mentality, and we'll bring the tools and environment you need to do the best work of your life.
Engineering Team Culture:
We take a generalist approach to hiring. Our focus is building out teams with smart engineers who are passionate about their craft and excited to build software for our unique solutions in the space. At Braintree, you’ll have the chance to work on various teams and stacks. Here’s more:
- Communication is key to our process, and we don't want to hinder it with walls. Many teams program in pairs, which means you always have another set of eyes to help you.
- We practice test-driven development and believe that it helps us deliver simple solutions focused on real customer needs. We have no QA department – developers test, release and monitor their own code.
- We keep the team in sync with daily stand-ups and have regular retrospectives to discuss things that are going well and opportunities for improvements.
- We value unique perspectives brought by diverse backgrounds and experiences. A broad range of ideas and perspectives help us to create the best possible product.
Types of projects we work on:
Treasury - Our platform which drives financial disbursements to merchants around the world.
Merchant Reporting - Delivering scalable data solutions to our partners: transaction records, payment methods, currencies, & features.
Onboarding - Building out a seamless on-boarding flow for Braintree merchants across our global markets.
Fraud Tools — realtime scoring and authentication to protect merchants from fraudulent payments and chargebacks
Payments — reliably grow and scale our payments systems, currently handling millions of payments every day across a variety of payment types
Wallet Payments — building all wallet integrations such as Pay with Venmo, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Visa Checkout, Masterpass, Amex Express Checkout
Cards Expansion — expanding our processing power through adding new card types and expanding our processing footprint to new geographical regions.
Transaction Optimization — building the future of Braintree where we offer merchants a data-driven card payment model which will make transactions adaptable to the behind-the-scenes processors.
About the Internship:
The internship (10 weeks, summer 2020) will have you working on a part of our system: open sourcing core elements, developing business-critical operations tools, or prototyping new features. Throughout the summer you will pair program on production teams where you will learn from and teach your teammates and practice test-driven development to create high-quality, maintainable software. The code you write will contribute to our codebase and actually be deployed into production.
We are looking for smart, tenacious, and outgoing individuals who are looking to challenge themselves and for a highly collaborative environment.
As a part of our company culture we encourage everyone to work a healthy, sustainable pace and that includes interns. We have special events for our interns to get a chance to socialize with the rest of the Braintree team and explore Chicago or San Francisco.
- Relevant software development experience, be an entering college Sophomore or Junior, or a candidate interested in the field
- Experience developing in a high-level programming language (e.g., Ruby, Python, Java, C#, etc.)
- Smart, expressive, and analytical
- Demonstrated open-source contributions
- Experience developing, deploying and maintaining web applications
- Clever integrations with the Braintree or Venmo API
Open Dev Day — two days a month our engineers work on projects that interest them to improve their craft
Daily catered lunches — salad bar and entree buffet. Yum!
Team Building events - get to know the folks you're working with in the city you're working in!
Hosted Intern Mixers - mingle with interns at other companies in the area
About Braintree Payments
Braintree provides the global commerce tools that people need to build their businesses, accept payments, and enable commerce for their users. It’s the simplest way to get paid for your great ideas -- across any device, and through almost any payment method.
Merchants in more than 40 countries worldwide can accept, split, and enable payments in more than 130 currencies using Braintree. And we’re here for you -- with stellar support, innovative concepts, and simple processes -- from your first dollar up past your billionth.