Gateway Sustainability Software Engineer
Braintree Payments, Austin, TX, Chicago, IL, Phoenix, AZ, Remote
See jobs at Braintree Payments
Braintree lets you move money from one place to another safely and securely. Every time you pay for an Uber ride, book a stay through Airbnb, or pay with PayPal when you check out online, you’re probably using our product. It sounds complex (and it is), but we make it so simple you can’t tell we’re there.
We solve world-scale problems and provide opportunities to match. We build diverse teams that recognize our strengths and allow us to work on our weaknesses. You bring skills and a relentless focus on the customer, and we'll provide the support you need to do the best work of your life.
We’re looking for software engineers to join our Gateway Sustainability team. We are focused on the performance, operability, maintainability, reliability, and scalability of the public APIs at the heart of Braintree’s payment processing. The team confronts tough problems with curiosity, data, and pragmatism. We dive into the internals of programming frameworks and software libraries. We build software to make better experiences for our customers and our engineers.
Our engineers have the chance to work on various teams and stacks. Although we primarily work with Ruby on Rails applications, we believe in using the best tool for the job.
Here’s more information about how we work:
- Communicationis key to our process, and we don't want to hinder it with walls. We work directly with other teams.
- We practice test-driven developmentand believe that it helps us deliver simple solutions focused on real customer needs. Software engineers test, release and monitor their own code.
- We pair program. We believe that we do our best work when we work together. You always have a teammate to help you.
- We keep the team in sync with dailystand-ups and have regular retrospectives to discuss things that are going well and opportunities for improvements.
- We value unique perspectivesbrought by diverse backgrounds and experiences. A broad range of ideas and perspectives help us to create the best possible product.
Types of projects we work on:
- We incrementally make sweeping performance improvements to our most critical systems by monitoring, profiling, and tuning REST API applications.
- We make it easier for other engineers to catch anti-patterns by building tools, test specs, and scripts.
- We migrate software to new infrastructure architectures.
- We maintain and evolve libraries and modules that empower other engineers, such as feature flagging, caching, and database sharding.
What we look for in you:
- 4+ years’ experience building web applications on the backend.
- Ability and desire to work in a collaborative environment, with pair programming and fluid interactions between products, platform, and operations teams.
- Interest in test driven development and specific experiences using data and testing to create solutions and solve problems.
- Focus on building utilizing an agile approach, communicating and digesting real time feedback, and learning new things daily.
- Open dev days: every two weeks we spend a day working on projects that interest us and help us expand our skills and knowledge.
- Participation in the technology community: we help cover travel and attendance costs for conferences, and we offer opportunities and tools for speaking.
- Check out our Careers pagefor more company perks.
About Braintree Payments
Braintree provides the global commerce tools that people need to build their businesses, accept payments, and enable commerce for their users. It’s the simplest way to get paid for your great ideas -- across any device, and through almost any payment method.
Merchants in more than 40 countries worldwide can accept, split, and enable payments in more than 130 currencies using Braintree. And we’re here for you -- with stellar support, innovative concepts, and simple processes -- from your first dollar up past your billionth.
Want to learn more about Braintree Payments? Visit Braintree Payments's website.
The best bed for better sleep