Breather creates and curates a network of beautiful, on-demand private spaces that you can reserve and unlock via our web and mobile apps. We are in 10 cities across 3 countries and backed by some of the best investors in NYC and Silicon Valley. We enable top companies to do more productive and inspired work and are growing quickly! We're venture-backed; we have big ambitions, and we want you to help us achieve them.
What to expect
As a backend software engineer at Breather, you will be integrated into a lean team that fits your skills and interest. Your key responsibilities will be to build and develop the business logic through data models, services and REST APIs.
Some of the areas our team focus on include:
- Search: building a world-class search and discovery engine to help our customers discover our range of services and find the best space that meets their needs;
- Reservations management: evolving our self-served booking, teams, and reservations management tools.
- In-Room Access and Experience: making the customer’s experience in the room as delightful as possible through technology;
- Logistics and Operations: Breather is deeply enmeshed in the physical world both with respect to our product and how we operate it. This entails coordinating large teams of on-site workers to keep our spaces supplied, support client requests and maintain our high-quality standards.
Our stack includes:
In this role, you will:
- Build: In collaboration with your cross-functional team, you will design, build and iterate on new features that solve your customers’ problems and make them happy. You will architect backend systems that are fast, scalable and reliable, and design APIs that are enjoyable to use.
- Code: At Breather, we want great developers who love and care about the craft of computer programming. You will write clean, tested, and maintainable code.
- Lead: You will help your teammates grow through example, code reviews, and mentoring.
- Plan: You will elaborate on the roadmap with your teammates. As part of the backend functional team, you will help drive the long-term direction of our systems’ architecture.
You are highly motivated and enjoy programming and building things. You know how to make backend services fast, scalable, maintainable, and enjoyable to use. You care about the craft of writing clean code. You see beauty in HTTP headers and JSON output. You have a solid understanding of networking, distributed systems, and UNIX. Ideally, you will also have experience with systems-level programming, Docker, and DevOps.
In addition to experience with some of the technologies we use, you have the following:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering, or equivalent
- 5 or more years in an engineering or development role
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- The need to keep your skillset current; a thirst for knowledge
- Links to live, on-the-web examples of your work (Github, Stack Overflow, etc.)
- You're familiar with our product and have some ideas on things you'd want to add or change
What We Value
At Breather, our company values are not only the principles that link us together in the way we work, but they also keep us aligned on the same path, all working towards connected goals. These standards are what guide us on our collective journey through space(s). Our values are:
- Propose, Build, Deploy.
- Create with Care.
- Be a Piece of the Puzzle.
- Default to Transparency.
Great work deserves great perks!
- Be part of a well-funded, proven startup with big ambitions, competitive salary and company equity.
Perks and Benefits
We hope that you're excited by all the possibilities that come with working at Breather! In addition to our unique culture, we also offer these fun perks and benefits:
- Be part of a well-funded, proven startup with big ambitions, competitive salary and company options
- A generous Paid Time Off package per the calendar year
- Free access to the Breather network of over 400 spaces (and growing, fast!)
- Access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage. Oh, and it’s on us!
- Dog-friendly office - bring your dog to work, they’ll find plenty of friends waiting to play with them! (paused during Covid-19)
- Fun work environment and company culture with an upbeat, first-class team plus a kitchen filled with healthy snacks, bagels and chips! (snacks have been paused during Covid-19)
- We have a gorgeous office in the trendy Mile-End neighbourhood, but also offer a flexible Working From Anywhere policy!
About us Breather creates peaceful, practical and beautifully designed meeting rooms and private workspaces. With over 450 locations in New York, San Francisco, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, London, Washington and Ottawa, Breather lets you unlock a space of your own, on-the-go and on-demand. Booking is easy – simply find and reserve a Breather near you on our iOS and Android apps or on our website at Breather.com. You can book rooms for 30 minutes, a few hours or an entire day. By partnering with Breather, property owners and building managers can make more money from their unused and under-performing space and thereby increase the value of their existing real estate portfolios. Breather has raised funding from Peter Thiel's Valar Ventures, RRE and Real Ventures, as well as some of the most respected angel investors in Silicon Valley and New York. Since launching, we’ve been featured in The New York Times, The New Yorker, The Atlantic, Fortune, Dwell and TechCrunch, to name a few.
Want to learn more about Breather? Visit Breather's website.
See jobs at Bluecore