Director, Brooks Runner Performance Lab
Brooks Running, US, Washington, Seattle, Corporate
See jobs at Brooks Running
- Establish and provide leadership to the RPL team to set a collaborative culture of excellence, high performance and learning
- Lead, mentor and manage multidisciplinary teams (biomechanists, physiologist, cognitive & systems scientists, analysts, product engineers, innovators) in the creation of new philosophies, concepts and product in alignment with our innovation initiatives while executing critical research, development and validation.
- Utilize in-depth knowledge of biomechanical principles to develop unique creative research studies to explore new innovative ideas in order to advance our product, materials, and processes to drive innovation with regards to performance, fit, comfort and injury prevention.
- Lead and participate in strategic discussions to define the strategic vision for RPL. Provides functional leadership to ensure successful development and execution of the RPL research agenda and product portfolio.
- Oversee the daily operations of the Brooks Runner Performance Lab, research and product programs driving the strategic vision for RPL and leveraging insights to inform Brooks’ broader global innovation agenda
- Network with industry leaders and participate in key industry functions to communicate Brooks’ point of view and help shape the current thinking of running biomechanics. Publish when applicable.
- Manage outside researcher portfolio and contracts
- Provide support, coaching, consultation, career pathing and training for the team to foster a culture of innovation, learning, and personal development.
- Create and foster a culture of innovation and learning
- Manage assigned departmental budgets & resources to ensure goals are met with optimal use of resources.
- Ph.D. in human movement science (biomechanics, kinesiology), engineering, biomedical or related field plus
- 3-5 years of experience leading a team.
- 10+ years’ experience in lieu of a graduate degree.
- Proven track record creating a robust research vision and agenda, and leading teams towards a common goal
- Successful experience teaching, training and presenting biomechanical theory and research to scientific and non-technical audiences in order to communicate Brooks’ point of view. Experience presenting to media a plus
- Strong project management skills with a keen attention to detail in planning, organization and execution of tasks (self and through others), while still seeing the big picture and understanding how all of the pieces fit together and affect one another.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and develop highly productive relationships with individuals and teams that are made up of diverse disciplines and cultural backgrounds resulting in effective working relationships across the company.
- Curious and open minded; always up for a challenge, inventive and creative. Ability to challenge the status quo- always looking at improving our people, products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details.
- Possess an advanced understanding of anatomy, physiology, biomechanics of running, biomechanical principles, biometrics, statistical methods and predictive analytics to create experimental designs with an understanding of performance and injury mechanisms for running.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated experience in gathering, interpreting and analyzing data in clinical research and product development with experience applying machine learning and artificial intelligence to design, develop and commercialize consumer products
- Significant experience in writing programs to analyze biomechanical data is strongly preferred (MATLAB, visual 3D, LabVIEW, C/C++)
- Advanced knowledge and experience in use of biomechanics systems for analyzing running/walking gait (3D mocap systems (Motion Analysis, Vicon, Qualisys), Visual 3D, plantar pressure systems (Novel, Tekscan))
- Ability to troubleshoot all existing tools commonly used for biomechanical or field analysis and problem solve by creating new tools/ and or methods when applicable to solve specific scientific inquiry.
- Computer proficiency with office software; MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating effective listening through concise, clear verbal and written communication.
- Passionate participation in Brooks’ sports activities a plus, overridden by the ability to understand and empathize with the runner in order to develop loyal, engaging relationships with our customers and the Brooks community.
- Embraces and lives the Brooks values!
- Global travel 10% of the time.
About Brooks Running
About us Brooks Running makes men's and women's high-performance running shoes, apparel, and accessories that meet the needs of runners of all levels. Entirely focused on the run, Brooks is dedicated to inspiring people to run and be active. Brooks creates innovative equipment that keeps you running longer, farther and faster—and with more enjoyment of the run.