We're looking for an experienced engineering manager who can lead teams, contribute independently and work with peers from Product, Design, and Infrastructure to deliver great products. BuzzFeed’s engineering team runs a lean, iterative development process where we deploy early and often. As a Director, Engineering, you’ll lead a small team with huge impact!
BuzzFeed tech teams take pride in designing elegant, simple solutions to challenging problems, creating quality software and promoting best practices for writing maintainable, well-tested code. We need to build for scale and support millions of users globally by default. BuzzFeed products and content distribution have grown massively the past few years, with groundbreaking news investigations and new brands such as Tasty.
You would be joining a fast-paced company packed full of highly-engaged people with the thirst to do great things through dedication to data and giving a voice to marginalized groups. As a leader, you would be best placed to help grow our teams and support a healthy culture to make BuzzFeed a happy and productive place to work. We’d love for you to join us on this journey! 🚀
About the role:
BuzzFeed engineering leads take initiative and drive technical and organizational improvement through standards, tooling, and mentorship. Our managers are proactive and forward thinking and evangelize change thoughtfully and enthusiastically through the entire organization.
In this role you will lead teams that provide resilient content distribution services to power our consumer facing products like BuzzFeed.com and our iOS and Android apps. You will collaborate with engineers, product managers, designers and data scientists to evolve these services to meet expanding scale.
Some projects include:
- Building robust and scalable content services that are used to render BuzzFeed posts to over 200 million people each month
- Maintaining and enhancing our custom AB testing platform
- Partnering with our app product teams to build backend services to power new formats and experiences on our iOS and Android apps
You will report to a Sr. Director of Engineering based in our New York office. You will act as a technical lead as well as a people manager, directly managing ~5 senior-level engineers, some of whom have direct reports of their own. In addition to working with our teams in Minneapolis, you will interact daily with other BuzzFeed offices in New York, London and Los Angeles.
- Lead technical initiatives and manage career growth for your team
- Work collaboratively with other teams across tech; other technical leaders and design/product/data/qa
- Own the output and day-to-day operations of your team
- Help translate business goals to technical projects
- Be hands on with code. Carry out architecture reviews
- You adapt quickly to change
- You empathise with BuzzFeed audiences
- You are a compassionate leader who has experience training & skill building
- You excel at leading and delivering on complex projects
- You are diligent when it comes to writing documentation
- You value repeatability, resilience, observability, and operational simplicity
- You love discovering solutions to complex problems
- You work collaboratively and understand the importance of cross-functional communication to effectively deliver products
About our Tech Stack:
- Python / Go
- AWS, GCP
- Linux (Ubuntu)
- Source Control (Git)
- Databases (MySQL, Redis, Cassandra, Redshift, BigQuery, ElasticSearch)
- Infrastructure Tools (Docker, ECS, Terraform)
- Messaging systems (NSQ)
- Monitoring / Instrumentation (Nagios, DataDog, StatsD)
- Service Oriented Architecture
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world and more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We fuse hard work and fun through a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, and humble confidence. As an employee, you’ll enjoy perks like office events, snacks, career development courses, and no work on your birthday! But most importantly, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit http://www.buzzfeed.com
Jobs You May Like
Software Engineer II - Graph
BounceX, New York
Senior Core Engineer, Mobile
Meetup, New York
Movable Ink , Movable Ink - Costa Rica
Chief Revenue Officer
Piktochart, Penang/ Kuala Lumpur
Technical Program Manager, Mechatronics Systems
Zoox, San Carlos, CA
Embedded Software Engineer
Formlabs, Somerville, MA