Ideal candidates for the BuzzFeed Emerging Writers Fellowship must have ambitious ideas and a proven desire to publish cultural criticism, personal essays, and reported pieces that create an impact on cultural conversations. The three writers selected for the fellowship will work with BuzzFeed News’ senior editorial staff; this is a full-time position based in BuzzFeed’s New York office. The work produced during the fellowship will be published on BuzzFeed. Fellows will receive a stipend of $14,000. For examples of work from previous fellows, click here.
Please submit the following materials by December 4th, 2017, using this form; we do not accept email submissions. Applications will be considered by a committee of BuzzFeed editors and staff writers. Writers accepted into the fellowship will be notified in late January; the fellowship is four months long and will start on March 5, 2018 and end on June 29. Current and former BuzzFeed employees may not apply. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States and cannot currently be enrolled in school.
1) Resume or CV.
2) 3-5 articles or essays you feel are representative of your best work; work from unpublished manuscripts is fine, too. You may link to them directly or upload them as attachments.
3) Statement of purpose (3–5 pages in length). Please attach your Statement below where the application asks for "Cover Letter." Please explain in detail, in separate sections:
- If given this opportunity, what are 2–3 story ideas you are passionate about pursuing? The fellowship will focus on personal essays, cultural criticism, and reported essays usually under 4,000 words, and pitches should reflect this mix.
- Why should you be the writer to pursue these stories? And what are the stakes of these stories being told, or not?
- Give 3–5 examples of cultural reporting, personal essays, features, or books from contemporary writers who have had an impact on your work. What specifically did you learn from each piece?
- What support would help you move forward in your career? What aspects of writing and cultural reporting are you eager to learn more about?
- What are your long-term career ambitions?
4) Two letters of recommendation: Please include the email addresses of your references in the option provided in the application. While your references needn’t all be from professional or academic contacts, they should attest to your standout potential, work ethic, and ability to pursue ambitious ideas and make an impact on cultural conversations.
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world and more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We fuse hard work and fun, through a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, and humble confidence. As an employee, you’ll enjoy perks like office events, snacks, career development courses, and no work on your birthday! But most importantly, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.