BuzzFeed is seeking an experienced front end developer who is passionate about building software to join our site team, supporting BuzzFeed.com and other BF Media Brands. This is a great opportunity to make a big impact by shipping code that will be consumed by over 200 million people every month.
We're looking for an experienced engineer who can lead teams, contribute independently and work with other teams including Product, Design, and Infrastructure to deliver our products—this type of collaboration is key to our success!
BuzzFeed tech teams take pride in designing elegant, simple solutions to challenging problems, creating quality software and promoting best practices for writing maintainable, well-tested code.
- Lead technical initiatives
- Mentor & train junior members of the tech team
- Work collaboratively with other teams across tech; other technical leaders and design/product/qa
- Own the output and day-to-day operations of your team
- Help translate business goals to technical projects
- Be hands on with code. Carry out code reviews and architecture reviews
It's essential you have:
- Proven experience in building large scale web applications
- Excellent front-end web development skills:
- An understanding of semantic and accessible markup patterns for flexible reuse.
- Experience working with CSS / SCSS at scale and knowledge of managing complexity.
- Good understanding of techniques such as Responsive Web Design and progressive enhancement.
- Experience of TDD in server and client side contexts.
- Experience working with automated testing solutions and an understanding of the pros and cons.
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architectures and consuming RESTful web services.
- Ability and willingness to work and improve legacy services.
- Knowledge of strategies to improve FE performance (both load and runtime)
- Experience with agile workplaces and working within a collaborative team.
- Experience with mentoring team members and assisting with their professional development
A big plus would be:
- You can go full-stack if you need to (python, docker, AWS)
- Healthy interest in emerging platform level technologies – http/2, service worker, offline storage etc.
- A level of familiarity with AWS or similar Cloud Infrastructure and associated tooling.
- Experience working with continuous delivery and an understanding of the associated processes.
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 18 cities around the world and more than 1600 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We infuse hard work and fun though a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, and humble confidence. As an employee, you’ll enjoy perks like office events, snacks, career development courses, and no work on your birthday! But most importantly, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.