Buzzfeed is looking for a senior corporate and commercial transactions attorney to join our legal team in NYC. You will report directly to the General Counsel and manage a team providing transactional legal support and advice to our teams throughout the organization. You are a legal expert who evaluates all matters in a way that honors business imperatives while mitigating risk, and who is experienced at creating creative solutions to seemingly intractable problems or issues.
- Manage the corporate and commercial transactions team, which consists of both legal and administrative staff
- Draft, review, and negotiate commercial agreements for internal client groups including Ad Sales, Commerce, Content Development, News, Research, Information Technology, Finance and Operations
- Interpret and provide advice and negotiation support to internal clients regarding contractual provisions, compliance and risk mitigation and assessment. Provide direct support to the General Counsel in connection with corporate transactions and governance-related matters
- Manage relationships with outside counsel
- Develop and modify form agreements for use by internal client groups.
- Remain current on legal and business developments relevant to the digital media and entertainment and technology industries, both nationally and internationally
- Juris Doctor degree (J.D.) from an accredited law school
- Qualified to practice law in New York.
- Ten (10)+ years post-JD experience, preferably both in top-tier law firms and as in-house counsel in a company within the media and entertainment industry.
- Negotiation experience (in particular, the ability to lead negotiations with a multiplicity of parts), as well as analytical and organizational skills
- Refined and well-practiced drafting skills (in particular, the ability to develop creative solutions in areas with evolving legal guidance)
- Experience managing administrative staff and other attorneys
- Experience drafting and negotiating a broad variety of corporate transactional documents and commercial contracts including:
- advertising and marketing agreements (including agreements with advertising technology providers and exchanges)
- content, data and distribution arrangements across all media platforms and devices
- development and production-related agreements
- trademark licensing agreements
- software/technology licensing and development agreements (including SaaS and PaaS)
- IT agreements
- sourcing/procurement/vendor contracts
- real estate leases and related agreements
- acquisition and sale agreements
- certificates of incorporation
- stockholders agreements
- financing document
- Prior experience leading projects and processing a large volume of matters in a fast-paced environment, multi-task under pressure and ability to work independently with limited oversight.
- Ability to creatively accomplish organization goals while managing legal risk
- Collaborative, positive and team-oriented
- Comfortable working with all levels of business professionals, including senior management and domestic and international colleagues at other departments.
- Proficiency with: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Internet research
- Please submit resume along with cover letter on why you are a good fit for the open Associate General Counsel position at BuzzFeed.
Life at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed strongly believes that the more diverse our team, the better our work will be. BuzzFeed is committed to equal opportunity employment and celebrates inclusion in all circumstances. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
Opportunities for growth and development via work experience and offerings from our in-house Learning Team
Employee resource groups, frequent in-office events, volunteer opportunities, and more
An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world and more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We value a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, and hard work (fused with fun). At BuzzFeed, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.