The BuzzFeed Fellowship is a year-long program for the next generation of writers, editors, and content creators eager to master the tools and techniques of social storytelling on BuzzFeed.com. Over the course of the program, you will learn how to create the type of content that readers love to share. You must have a deep understanding and passion for the digital and pop cultural landscape with intimate knowledge of the latest and greatest in social media, content, and emerging technology/platforms.
We're looking for hungry culture maniacs obsessed with the things people are sharing, liking, recommending and talking about. You should also have:
- High emotional intelligence
- A positive, curious, playful disposition (no haters)
- A competitive drive — you enjoy winning, really going for it
- A genuine, wide-eyed love of pop culture and lifestyle trends in all its forms
- An interest in social platforms and what drives people to share content on the web
- Curiosity and excitement about social platforms (Snapchat, Instagram, Tumblr, etc.)
In addition, you should demonstrate the following:
- 1-3 years of experience with writing content for the web
- Experience with Photoshop is a plus
- Ability to conceive of ideas, jump on social trends, and produce posts for the website
- Ability to handle critical feedback and improve from it
- Eagerness to work in a highly collaborative environment
Fellows will work with and learn from members of the BuzzFeed team. This is the perfect opportunity for someone interested in pursuing a career in writing. We look for people who are fascinated by the web, human psychology and pop culture. This is a paid position based in our NY or Los Angeles office.
The deadline to apply for this fellowship is Monday, January 28th. All application materials will need to be submitted when you apply (including the link to your 2-3 posts). The intended (and tentative) start date for this Fellowship is Monday, March 4th.
Please submit the following when applying to be an Editorial Fellow:
- Instead of a formal cover letter, please include a few short paragraphs about what topics you’d want to write about on BuzzFeed, and what about the site interests you. You can include this in the Cover Letter section.
- Create a BuzzFeed.com/community profile, and create 2-3 posts that reflect your voice and interests. NOTE: Only 1 of the 2-3 posts can be a quiz. When you submit your posts, include “This is for the Editorial Fellowship.” in the description. You’ll be asked to provide the links to your posts when you complete the application. So, please create the posts first.
- Provide links to your public social media accounts.
- Attach a resume.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company, delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We value experimentation, teamwork, inclusion, humble confidence. At BuzzFeed, you’ll work alongside inspiring colleagues to create tools, technology, and content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Jobs You May Like
Post Production Outreach & Education Program Manager
Netflix, Los Angeles, California
Video Producer Editor
Accuweather, Headquarters - State College, PA
Creative Director (Art)
Huge, Washington DC
CheddarU Student Correspondent
Cheddar, New York
Volta Industries, San Francisco, CA
Management, Raw Charge (Tampa Bay Lightning) - Contract
Vox Media, Remote