VP, Strategic Business and Corporate Development
BuzzFeed, New York, Los Angeles
The social news and entertainment company.
BuzzFeed, the world’s leading independent digital media company, is looking for a Vice President of Strategic Business and Corporate Development. As the VP, You will take the lead on planning, analysis, and development of new opportunities to grow BuzzFeed’s business through both strategic partnerships and M&A. You will work collaboratively with BuzzFeed’s executive team—including the CEO, CFO, CRO, and CMO—as well as finance and legal. You are a proven strategist and dealmaker who has experience and contacts in media and technology, a native understanding of digital content and digital content monetization, an appreciation of BuzzFeed's unique position in the marketplace, prior managerial experience, and an ability to build relationships, evaluate opportunities, and build strategic partnerships across our businesses, including branded content; entertainment and news production and distribution; and new revenue lines.
You will be based in Manhattan or Los Angeles, and reports to directly to BuzzFeed’s Chief Financial Officer. Initially the role will be responsible for directing cross-functional teams for business development, corporate development, and strategic planning; with success there will be the opportunity to build a dedicated team.
- Maintain a network of relationships, contacts and partners, particularly at the C-level, to enhance BuzzFeed’s access to information and opportunities
- Develop forward-looking strategic plans for expanding and diversifying BuzzFeed’s revenue and core business via both strategic partnerships and M&A, backed with appropriate financial hypotheses and modeling.
- Source new strategic partnership and M&A opportunities with partners across media, technology, and other relevant sectors
- Lead diligence, negotiations, and post-deal work (deal management, integration, etc) on on active deals
- Manage and grow BuzzFeed’s existing strategic partnerships, particularly those with the major distribution platforms (Amazon, Facebook, Google, Twitter, Snap, etc)
- Advise the BuzzFeed C-suite plans, opportunities and progress to build active engagement and align support
- Develop a plan for building BuzzFeed’s business development, corporate development, and strategic planning functions, and hire and manage those teams to the extent needed
- 7+ years of work on the business side of media or technology companies
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree, with relevant Master’s degree (JD, MBA, etc) preferred
- Passion for and a fluency with media and entertainment, news, and technology, and an affinity for BuzzFeed and its brands
- Meaningful experience with advertising businesses and the current landscape and macro trends in advertising, preferably with digital advertising
- Meaningful experience with M&A and completing M&A deals from beginning through integration
- Demonstrated financial knowledge and strategic planning and proactive deal making and structuring experience
- Superior oral and written presentation abilities, including executive-level presentation skills
- Strong collaboration orientation, with experience spanning functions and levels
- Outstanding strategic instincts with experience linking strategy to actual operations and operational requirements
- Strong leadership capabilities with ability to make quick, yet informed strategic decisions related to partnership and deal opportunities
- Meaningful management experience, and experience building, via hiring, the growth of one or more business functions
- Experience aligning and driving cross-functional groups
Life at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed strongly believes that the more diverse our team, the better our work will be. BuzzFeed is committed to equal opportunity employment and celebrates inclusion in all circumstances. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
Opportunities for growth and development via work experience and offerings from our in-house Learning Team
Employee resource groups, frequent in-office events, volunteer opportunities, and more
An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world and more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We value a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, and hard work (fused with fun). At BuzzFeed, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Media Trading Specialist
The Trade Desk, Sydney, Australia
Senior Counsel and Director of Business & Legal Affairs, Original Documentaries (EMEA)
Netflix, London, United Kingdom
Hortonworks, Chicago, IL
Senior Software Analyst - .NET
Icertis, Pune Area, India
Looker, Santa Cruz
Statutory Accounting Lead
Slack, Dublin, Ireland