Senior Counsel, Media and Intellectual Property
BuzzFeed, New York
The social news and entertainment company.
BuzzFeed has an opening for an Editorial/First Amendment and Litigation Attorney in our NY office. We're looking for an attorney to support our news and entertainment operations with at least five years of media and intellectual property law experience. General litigation experience, including employment and labor and commercial disputes is a plus. The Senior Counsel will report to the Associate General Counsel, Litigation and Compliance.
- Support BuzzFeed’s News, Content and Studio organizations in pre-publication review, FOIA appeals and related litigation, and DMCA/CDA/UGC moderation counseling.
- Oversee the litigation docket for us and directly manage cases, including appearing at court and mediation hearings in state and federal court.
- Collaborate with in-house and outside counsel on Media Law and Intellectual Property-related proceedings, challenges, disputes and litigation.
- Counsel all levels of the organization on media law related matters, including developing and conducting training at all levels.
- Negotiate pre-suit settlements and draft settlement agreements, releases and other dispute-resolution oriented documents.
- Contribute to global media law strategy with a focus on assessing and managing risk across the enterprise in accordance with Buzzfeed’s needs, priorities and resources.
- At least a combined 5 years relevant experience at a law firm or in-house at a media company, including pre-publication review. Ideally, you have both firm and In-house experience.
- New York State Bar membership and are in good standing
- Comprehensive knowledge of First Amendment/defamation law, Intellectual Property rights, and general litigation management as well as a mastered capability for legal research, analysis and reasoning.
- Strong desire to learn the business and function smoothly as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with client group; provide guidance, and make strategic recommendations
- Sound business judgment; Ability to remain discreet while working with confidential information
- Effectively prioritize, execute and respond to a wide variety of inquiries, both verbally and in written form, with an emphasis on identifying and resolving issues
- Proactive and detail-oriented thinker with the ability to thrive in an often ambiguous, fast-paced environment
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company, delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We value experimentation, teamwork, inclusion, humble confidence. At BuzzFeed, you’ll work alongside inspiring colleagues to create tools, technology, and content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Jobs You May Like
Recruiting Manager, Product, Marketing, and Operations
Zoox, Foster City, CA
Director of Strategic Finance
Kraken Exchange, Remote - North America
Data Scientist, Business Intelligence
Rapid7, Boston, MA (Global HQ)
Senior Credit Analyst
TALA, Santa Monica
Strategic Finance, Associate
Accordion Partners, Charlotte
Strategic Finance Analyst
Pocket Gems, Company