BuzzFeed News is seeking an energetic, news-obsessed communications professional to support editorial publicity. The person in this role will work under BuzzFeed News’ Director of Communications and within the broader BuzzFeed PR team. The publicist’s primary focus will be extending the reach and impact of BuzzFeed News’s reporting, shows, overall narrative, and brand. Partnership with editors and reporters is an essential element of this job, and will include collaboration with the editorial team on the communications strategy and the promotion of content that lives across BuzzFeed’s site and apps, as well as platforms including YouTube, Facebook, Snapchat, and Twitter. This job will also include editorial publicity for BuzzFeed shows: AM to DM and Hella Opinions on Twitter, Profile and Outside Your Bubble on Facebook Watch, as well as additional programming yet to be announced.
We are looking for someone who has a passion for news, loves media relations, thrives in a fast-paced newsroom environment, and is inspired by what BuzzFeed News produces every day across all platforms. This role will report to the Director of Communications for BuzzFeed News, but will work very closely with the editorial team and the broader PR team.
What You’ll Do:
- Support strategy and execution for editorial communications.
- Collaborate with editors and reporters to know what they’re working on, what’s coming up, and develop strategic communications plans to best position their work.
- Be in constant touch with press, pitch producers, and grow relationships with media contacts.
- Serve as PR point of contact during breaking news and around major events.
- Obsession with news and politics greatly preferred.
- Demonstrated success securing media coverage across various platforms (tv, print, web, radio).
- Solid understanding of media and tech landscape, and a strong editorial sensibility.
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, juggle multiple tasks on tight deadlines, lead projects, and be a strategic advisor in time-sensitive scenarios.
- Passion for following media, digging into trends, and staying ahead of the news cycle.
- 3-5 years experience inside a news organization and/or in a press shop pitching on a daily basis.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.