BuzzFeed News is seeking a brilliant, passionate and highly detail-oriented Deputy Editor for its Technology and Business Desk in San Francisco. This is a highly ambitious desk, with a formidable team of reporters and editors. Our aim is to lead the conversation with stories that speak to people’s lives and have real world impact. The successful candidate will share that drive and ambition. Previous editors in this role have gone on to lead technology coverage at other publications.
You’ll help reporters develop beats, cultivate sources, break news, and advance stories. You should be able to poke holes in stories and then stitch them up again better than before. You’re great at crafting headlines, deks and nut grafs. You will have a flawless eye for copy and be able to turn stories around quickly. You’re both detail-oriented, and able to see big picture.
We hope to build a team that is diverse in many ways, and want to cast a wide net. We offer competitive compensation and a stock option program.
- Edit and manage writers, and work with them to develop story ideas and sources
- Develop breakout story treatment ideas
- Manage day-to-day news workflow
- Manage and assemble weekly story budget
- Coordinate event coverage
- Coordinate coverage with other desks
- A proven track record of excellent editing
- a deep pool of industry sources and contacts
- The ability to work on a mix of breaking news, enterprise, and feature stories
- Comfort with editing many different types of writing and writers
- You should be good at Twitter
Interested candidates should submit the following with their application:
- Detailed resume and work history
- Cover letter explaining why you’re the right person for this job, what you think will be the big tech stories in the coming year, and how you would mix things up from what we currently do.
- Selected candidates will be asked to complete an edit test
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company, delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We value experimentation, teamwork, inclusion, humble confidence. At BuzzFeed, you’ll work alongside inspiring colleagues to create tools, technology, and content that helps connect people all over the world.
New media giant, BuzzFeed, attracts over 200 million unique visitors per month, or more quantifiably, everybody on your newsfeed, all the time.
Check out some videos we filmed with their recruiting team to learn how you can land a job at BuzzFeed.
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BuzzFeed? Visit BuzzFeed's website.
Jobs You May Like
Technical Sound Designer - Contractor
Magic Leap, Inc., Plantation, FL
News Writer, The Verge
Vox Media, NY, SF, Remote
Video Media Optimization Associate
Taboola, Tel Aviv
Senior Product Content Strategist- Retail
Shopify, Ottawa, Canada
Create a Profile - Story, Visual Development, and Creative
Illumination Entertainment, Open